finishing handle question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

finishing handle question

I'm gonna try my hand at knife making, not forging but just starting with steel billet. I've been watching tutorials for months and think I can manage to turn out something that will cut but after that who knows what will come of it lol. I have chosen AEB-L 1/8" stainless and will be sending the blade out for tempering before I assemble as I don't want to tackle tempering stainless. The handles will be stabilized wood but I have a question about finishing the wood. I am not sure what finish to use to bring out the grain and get a polished look. I figure it's some sort of oil but am hoping someone on here can point me to the proper one to use. My dad and my two brothers and me will be going on an elk hunt in September and I want to surprise them with these to use on the trip. Any tips would be appreciated.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Sage

You would be better off using carbon steel than stainless, stainless is harder to sharpen. I don't think you have to do anything but sand and polish stabilized wood, it is already saturated in an epoxy like material which will buff out.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Woods walker, I know I would definitely be better off with carbon and I know how much easier it is to work with. I fought with this over and over and just couldn't decide. My biggest fear was my brothers not taking care of the blades and oiling them as they should and not storing them outside of the sheath. Lets just say my brothers aren't known for going above and beyond to take care of things and I didn't want to put all that time into something only to have it rust. I know I made this harder on myself but my hope is that in the end the knives will last longer and better than the 1095.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Sage

I wonder how many people really know they should not store their knives in a sheath. There are some tanning methods that are ok to do that with, but since we don't know how sheaths were tanned, I choose to not keep them inside he sheath when storing.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Probably not many at all which is why we see everything made in stainless. Carbon is a high performing steel and easy to put an edge on but can you imagine if Kershaw or Buck made all carbon knives. People would be bashing them left and right after their knives all rusted and it would be because none of them really knew how to keep care of it and no fault of the manufacturer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page