I sure like a orange handled knife for obvious reasons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I sure like a orange handled knife for obvious reasons

Don't know if anyone ever posted about this... When I deer hunt I make sure my folding deer knife and or fixed blade has a orange handle on.. As you gut your deer you will lay your knife down from time to time... So good to see it laying on the ground when it's orange....
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Uncle Buck, it works! (BOG)
I had a fella come 'round the shop several years ago wanting to peddle a box of knives. Said he needed the cash to pay fines. I bought them all(18 iirc) as most were high quality knives.
Every one of them, caked with blood and fat and hair, had orange surveyors tape attached to them........hahahahahaha
I figgered out what the tape was for.....

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 AM

Lost 2 hunting knives thus far in my years. One a Case, the other Browning FDT. Both had orange handles. Makes ya wanna tear up a little losing such a direct tie to so many memories!
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 AM

I went to orange knives several years ago. I left a nice Dunn knife at a moose gutpile a couple of years ago. Luckily, the following season, I shot another bull the next year within a stoneís throw distance of where I killed the other. The guide and I looked around and found it. I now carry an orange Havalon and an orange Cutco. I also got into a habit of policing up my gear at a kill its....camera, license, knives,, gloves, etc. I canít understand why some folks buy a camo knife.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a Gerber version of a Havalon knife this past season and its going to be the only gutting knife I carry from now on. It worked so well that the pretty wood handled knives will stay at home except for bear season where a heavier knife could come in handy. It happens to have an orange handle too.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Keep an eye on the cover on the gerber version of a havalon, it falls off easily. I stuck mine in my back pocket this year and the cover fell off with the blade sticking straight up and I almost grabbed the bare blade when I reached for the knife. Could have been bad those things are scary sharp
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I have a Havalon and never opened the package yet. I will remember what you said. I will check to see if it's a
Gerber too. Thanks for your comment on it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:18 AM

I don't have any orange knives... And that is why I never lay them down when gutting. I stick them in the nearest tree above waist level. I've actually forgotten my knife a couple times. Easy as pie to go back and find them, most things in the woods don't grow at 90* to the trunk.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 AM
BHC
Part of the Community

I have a Outdoor Edge with orange handle, I must say it helps to find it
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The knife I carry 95 % of the time is a folding Camillus with bone sides that I got for high school graduation. That knife has taken care of 90 % of big game I have ever harvested. I've had to return to gut piles twice to retrieve it. Once it took two of us about an hour of rooting around in the leaves to find it. While an orange handled knife would be a good idea, that knife has too much history with me to leave at home.

One time while hunting state forest I found a nice older leather wrap Kbar at a gut pile. The following summer I stopped to talk to some people that were up for the weekend visiting their cabin. One fellow mention he shot a buck in the area I found that Kbar. I asked him why he left his knife at the gut pile. Boy did his face light up when he found out I found his knife. He followed me home to reclaim it. What are the odds of that ?
bigguy54 likes this.

Last edited by simoncool; 02-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page