Gun blue for knives - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gun blue for knives

Newbie who made 2 knives so far. So I wanted to try gun blue for some patina. Watched a couple of youtube videos and ready to go. Cleaned blade with denatured alcohol, put on gloves, heated blade with hair dryer as suggested and applied gun blue. Waited 1 minute then neutralized with water and wiped dry. AWEFUL....very splotchy, uneven and not very dark. Video said if you wanted darker repeat process. So I did and same disasterist result!

Suggestions? What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

Freedom is NOT free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Sage

Try boiling the knives until they are hot enough to flash dry, apply the bluing solution with a cotton ball, when dry steel wool it lightly with 000 or 0000 steel wool and repeat until you get a rich blue, it will take several coats until you get a rich even color. Here is a picture of a rifle I did over 40 years ago with Birchwood Casey cold bluing solution. The rifle looks as good today as it did when I blued it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-30-2017 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Woods Walker. Had similar experience with my try at using vinegar. Cleaned blade, heated vinegar and let blade soak overnight. This morning it was black until I tried drying it off the coating came off too. I'm starting to get a complex! Any ideas on tjis one?

Freedom is NOT free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage

Non other than the instructions I gave you above.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 PM

A suggestion would be to use acetone instead of alcohol. If you buy cheap alcohol it may have unwanted byproducts.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

another suggestion..... to retain the black color, try boiling in water saturated with baking soda. This sets the oxides produced while etching so should work with this also,

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page