Werry Weery quiet around here.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Werry Weery quiet around here....

Reckon everybody is busy gettin' knives made for hunting season.
I just finished a big hunter for the RMEF. It will be raffled off next week at the Porcupine Viewing area on Winslow Hill. Sept 30-Oct 9. Drawing will be Oct 9 5pm at the above location. The RMEF brings in a display trailer, with some tremendous mounts to see!
Knife I built is hafted with Pa elk, the steel is mostly made in w Pa. (O1/L6) with some bandsaw blade (15n20) from a mill in n Pa. Scabbard is leather produced by Wickett&Craig in Curwensville.
The other 2 prizes in the raffle are a Henry Golden Boy.22 and a pair of Leupold binoculars.
If ya go up, check it out!

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wish I have been making knives. Made table for wife decided to use hot rivets instead of welding joints. Not as easy as it sounds but turned out nice. Making brackets for Daughters kitchen remodel. 12 knee brackets and 2 lamps. But will be done soon. Whats everybody been up to.

camp in A.N.F.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm starting a project for a customer, a quantity of light hangers. Forged, twisted hooks and attached to a piece of flat stock.
Besides all the orders.....:-)Betcha there are 1 dozen blades on the bench awaiting scales/handles/guards, etc.
Once these are cleaned up, I hope to make a run of hawks.

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

I got nothing done this summer haha. I spent all summer completely redoing our landscape. I took our flowerbeds from 10 feet off of the house to 4 feet and turned the excess to grass. I couldnt keep up with the yardwork and 2 small children. The landscape was like that from the previous owner who owned a landscape company. I dont mind yardwork but I went from needing 12 yards of mulch to 3 so it was worth it IMO.

The rest of my time has been spent clearing the site and prepping for my detached workshop build. I had to drop 100' oak trees, then clean up, split the wood, grind the stumps, and take down a rockwall. Hopefully once these last permits get approved this week the contractor can start construction in a week or so.

Right now I'm working on a pair of spurs for a farmer that lets me hunt their land. They raise longhorn cattle so I think he should like them...

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Here are my latest pieces of work...

The diagonal peen hammer is one I made with a blacksmith out of Manheim, PA. His name is Peter Johnson and I took a daylong class with him where we made a drift, and then used the drift to make the hammer. We also made some other tooling. It was a great class. I did all of the striking to make the items. I had never done that before. It was fun but man were my shoulders wore out by the end of the day haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170915_180350_1507645273498.jpg (993.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170915_203816_1507645371898.jpg (457.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170915_203914_1507645431577.jpg (556.1 KB, 4 views)

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Last edited by burninghxcsoul; 10-10-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How do ya like that 45degree angle? Never used one . Basically a straight peen fan :-)
Like to see those spurs when you are finished!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I really like it. It just puts you in a natural position to fuller and draw out on the edge of the anvil without having to hold the work or swing the hammer at an unnatural angle. Although I do still use my straight and cross pein hammers for some things. I have a ton of hammers though. I go to the williams grove flea market every couple of weeks and buy old hammer heads, files, hand planes, and basically any tools I think that are neat and then I spend most of the winter restoring them. Its a hobby, keeps me out of the bars haha and its winter so theres nothing to do outside.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Part of the Community

Well Ive been in the leather shop mostly. Just bought more leather tools....might be a disease. I did try to make a couple hook knives for carving spoons....interesting ....lot to learn.. came out ok. Glad you guys are keeping busy......perhaps another knife in the hat this winter?? wonder if we can get enough interest around here

R
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey, look who come outta the woodwork! How's it goin' Ross?
That leatherwork is lookin' good!!
So does the leathertools!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Part of the Community

Hey there Birdog, things are well, getting in the woods some and keeping busy. Keep on keeping on!!

Ross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page