Some WIP one finished - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Some WIP one finished

Here are some pics of my most recent knife attempts. I made the first knife out of some left over coil spring I had from making punches. I went for a seax/sheepsfoot kind of look. The heat treat is done I need to wrap some 550 cord on the handle.

The next one my friend wanted a tanto like blade so i made that out of some coil spring also. I have not heat treated it yet only normalized and done a rough grind on my 1x30 and my 4x36.

The next one is a bowie style knife. I have only normalized and done some initial rough grinding on it. This one was out of some old kind of farm equipment I got at the local scrap yard, it had a bunch of half circle tines on it to I guess till up the ground, not a farmer haha, but I made 2 test coupons and it hardened and tempered great. Now I just have to figure out how to put a guard on it and a handle.

I'm also waiting on a motor for my 2x72 grinder build. I was going to go with a treadmill motor set up but after some help on some homebuilt grinder pages, to run the DC motor correctly requires more knowledge than I have. I went to a local electric motor shop and he has a 4HP 3450 RPM 220V motor that he will sell for $120 once he checks it out. I'm waiting for that before I start welding the frame together.

How do you guys temper your knives? I've been using a toaster oven with success but one friend wants me to make him some kind of big chopper knife and my toaster oven is too small and my wife would probably stab me if I tempered a knife in our ovens in the kitchen.

Do you guys use a dedicated heat treating oven or an old kitchen oven? I've looked online for plans to build a heat treating oven but again, I know absolutely nothing about electrical stuff or wiring other than 12v for cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161220_073423.jpg (449.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20161220_073440.jpg (400.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20161220_073501.jpg (394.4 KB, 4 views)

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Part of the Community

I do almost all of my tempering in a toaster oven as you pointed out if its big that is an issue. Some guys do it in the forge but I don't trust myself enough. What till you get the 2x72 going you will be amazed the difference from a 1x30. Way back i actually did a few blades with a angle grinder and sanding discs.

I also would not recommend the kitchen oven, for lots of reasons, one being if you still have some oil on the blade and you smoke the place up and get oil in your food oven not good. More importantly. The wife comment .....yea dont mess with her happy wife happy life.

I suspect you could use a regular oven if you found one cheap and had the room. But a bit of overkill perhaps

Ross
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you clean that blade up ie remove ALL the quench oil or use olive/cooking oil for a quench, kitchen ovens don't suffer from use :-)

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I actually do quench in canola oil. It seems to work well so far. I'll have to try it in the spring time when if it starts to stink I can throw open some windows before the wife gets home. we have one of those wall mounted ovens that is actually 2 separate ovens. We only use the bottom one really when we are having a holiday meal or something like that. I'll probably try it in that one.

I have room for one in my garage but my wife generally gets bent out of shape when I drag another tool home and I tell her that garages are not actually meant for cars and that it is a common misconception that most women have and that she shouldn't feel too bad for thinking like that. She ALWAYS notices when I bring home something new, she might not know what it is but she always knows its something that I probably dont need haha. My woodshop is in the basement and I think shes never gone down there more than a handful of times so a new lathe or table saw or gun in the gun safe? No problem, but all of my metal working/welding stuff is in the garage for weight/fire hazard reasons. It seems no matter how much money I make there is never any left over for me and my hobbies haha.

I'm really looking forward to this 2x72. Forging a knife is the easy part, finishing it and making it flat and everything is what takes forever. I've got all the steel, I bought the motor, and I just ordered the wheels from Oregon Blade Maker. Once they show up its time to start cutting and welding this thing together.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page