What makes you buy a knife? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

What makes you buy a knife?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I come to you with what I hope will be a interesting and open discussion. I pose to you this questions:

What makes you buy a knife and why do you?

There is a plethora of knives on the market. Everything from $5 Chinese or Pakistan made knives to custom makers charging $500 to $2000 You shop at your local big box store and buy a serviceable knife for $30 which will last a lifetime if treated correctly. I can find damascus blades on ebay of dubious quality for little money. There are interchangable blade knives, pocket knives, fixed blades and on and on.....so what makes you buy and why. Discuss

Have a great Friday

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:32 AM

I'm very much a function-over-form kinda guy who tends to seek out the most cost-effective and efficient tool for the job. I carry a cheap box cutter at work, keep a Kershaw pocket knife on me at all times, and a 6" Victorinox knife for butcher work. My exception would be a nice Marble that I got for Christmas one year that handles most of my field-dressing and skinning chores.

I do have a few lower-end collectible knives that I've gotten as gifts over the years, and I try to make sure all of them get used for their designated function at least once before putting them up.

All that said, at some point in my life, I'd like to blow four-digit money on a high-end custom blade, just to have one. I'm not quite at that point in my life yet, however.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Not a collector and have no interest in becoming one down the line. To me I treat knives like any other tool I have. I buy what is something that will work for the situation, could care less about looks or style.

I use a lot more filleting knives than hunting, and I do not carry a knife on a regular basis, i'm to old to use it to defend myself that's why god made glocks.
For hunting I have a Buck folding knife in my pack, my fishing knives on the boat are Dexters and my good filleting knives are 7" from Wüsthof.
All my knives I usually only buy new ones if I lose one or it wears away from sharpening.
I look for durability and something that has a good quality carbon steel blade and will hold an edge, not rust since the knives on the boat are exposed to the weather from May till the boat comes out of the water sometimes as late as January.
The Dexter's, Wüsthof's and Chicago Cutlery brands worked well for what I use them for and they were everything I expected from a knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I love my Wustoff fillet knives!

An archer shoots his targets as far as he can. A bowhunter shoots his target as close as possible.

Mathews Vertix - Catfish Custom Bowstrings - HHA Kingpin Lite
QAD MXT - Wickstick Stabilizers - Bowfinger Ulitmate Mount
Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum - Carter 1st Choice
https://buckstick.com/
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Why???? because I like them!!!
That being said, I prolly buy 1-12 a year of all styles, shapes and sizes. Last expensive one I bought was a tactical from a young fella from St Mary's. Why??? He is startin' out and figgered he needed the support.
All that being said, I make anywhere from 100 to 200 knives a year. Mebbe it's an addiction, who can say for sure. I can't (BOG)

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

sometimes I even keep 1 or 3 of my own.

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 03:23 PM
The Man

Nothing makes me like losing the one I have.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like jmbear and birch, I buy one when I need it(rarely)as a tool and for function. Most are pocket folders. Buck folder in my pack for gutting bigger game, a slim Case with bird gut hook, leatherman tool I used daily for 20 years. I have a U.S.N sheath knife dad was given by his uncle in 1944. A few years ago I resurrected a Boy scout knife I got almost 30 years ago to replace my original knife I got when I was 11. The original's bail loop stake broke . I carry the scout knife on a belt clip every day . I even have my dads scout knife he got when he was 11 in 1941. The blade is about 1/4 wide from all the sharpening. He carried that knife until he retired . I have a bunch of knives that were given as gifts,mostly cheap junk but all for show. The knife I most appreciate is one I was given recently by Blacksmith here. I won the longest turkey beard contest and he made me a custom knife. I don't use it as much as I should . Have butchered 2 deer, a few rabbits and squirrels and pheasants with it since I got it. Which reminds me ,I owe him a picture of me and the knife in use. Kinda hard unless somebody else is taking the picture!

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
Like jmbear and birch, I buy one when I need it(rarely)as a tool and for function. Most are pocket folders. Buck folder in my pack for gutting bigger game, a slim Case with bird gut hook, leatherman tool I used daily for 20 years. I have a U.S.N sheath knife dad was given by his uncle in 1944. A few years ago I resurrected a Boy scout knife I got almost 30 years ago to replace my original knife I got when I was 11. The original's bail loop stake broke . I carry the scout knife on a belt clip every day . I even have my dads scout knife he got when he was 11 in 1941. The blade is about 1/4 wide from all the sharpening. He carried that knife until he retired . I have a bunch of knives that were given as gifts,mostly cheap junk but all for show. The knife I most appreciate is one I was given recently by Blacksmith here. I won the longest turkey beard contest and he made me a custom knife. I don't use it as much as I should . Have butchered 2 deer, a few rabbits and squirrels and pheasants with it since I got it. Which reminds me ,I owe him a picture of me and the knife in use. Kinda hard unless somebody else is taking the picture!
Wald Jager: Still waiting on that picture!!!!!!!!!!!!! I buy a knife because it feels good and must be of quality. I also like buying knives that a lot of aren't made. I bought a tactical folder from Queen in Titusville they say they aren't going to make anymore. The problem is my son loves it. I like knives from smaller companies. Two great knife companies in Titusville you can buy right at the company location. I stop when ever I can. Be safe and don't cut your self. Thanks (will be looking for that picture) P.S. Glad to see you are using the knife that makes me feel good Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
Nothing makes me like losing the one I have.
I am right there with you my brother. Unfortunately, I am one of them people who loses knives, umbrellas, socks (only one of a pair), sunglasses and binoculars (this is a problem) on a scale that keeps the industries that produce these items in business.

But I have developed a liking for Sodbuster and Cheetah Case knives as the ones I like best and buy when I need to.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page