Help finding a blank - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Help finding a blank

Guys, I need some help finding someone that can make a Bowie blank or has them in stock. I would like to find a Damascus or forged carbon blade. Ideally, I would like to find someone in PA and keep the business local.

I got a bug up my rear this year because I couldn't find a holster for my repro Schofield. I ended up buying some leather, WAY to much of it. The holster turned into a cartridge belt rig now I think it needs a nice Bowie knife to finish it off. I only need the blade as I have plenty of wood sitting around for scales, and frankly I would rather make what I want and save a few bucks. I've seen the "Damascus" blades online and unless someone has some slaves the gov doesn't know about they aint' real. Top it off with people dubbing a 6" blade as a Bowie, I'm starting to think I need to find someone I can talk to and explain what I want.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Help finding a blank

Did you check these guys out?

http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Get ahold of Gary Root. He lives in Erie and makes some great blades.

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I looked at ADS and didn't like the short blades they had. No offence to them, if I'm going to spend that kind of money(which it's worth it IMO) I want what I want. Yeah, I'm a pain to deal with.

Never heard of Gary, I'll ask some of the knife fanatics at work about him.

I did order a couple blanks and just got them today. One came from eBay and the other from USA Knife Maker. I'm happy with the patterns, just not the layout. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to buy some billets from ADS and grind my own. I'd just need a way to cut, sander, buffer... Oh god I'm doing it again.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

just make yer own.
30 years ago I decided I couldn't find a good skinning knife..... hahahahahahahaa
now I'm a fulltme maker.....

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW
Guys, I need some help finding someone that can make a Bowie blank or has them in stock. I would like to find a Damascus or forged carbon blade. Ideally, I would like to find someone in PA and keep the business local.

I got a bug up my rear this year because I couldn't find a holster for my repro Schofield. I ended up buying some leather, WAY to much of it. The holster turned into a cartridge belt rig now I think it needs a nice Bowie knife to finish it off. I only need the blade as I have plenty of wood sitting around for scales, and frankly I would rather make what I want and save a few bucks. I've seen the "Damascus" blades online and unless someone has some slaves the gov doesn't know about they aint' real. Top it off with people dubbing a 6" blade as a Bowie, I'm starting to think I need to find someone I can talk to and explain what I want.
I have one here you can have, if you are down this way. 9" blade, 14 1/2" oa length, 1/4" thick. the shape is there, it just needs finished.

update; i'll look, I might have 2.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Can't find what you want? Send me a sketch of your idea of shape hope to be forging shortly looks like it will cool down in week or so. Good fall project. Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm working with what I got now. Unfortunately, money just got tight. Kinda thankful that I didn't go buy some expensive piece of metal. Anyway, I have been bouncing between the "now that's a knife", the coffin handle and a set of steak knives for a friend(dang wedding present). I'm doing my best not to long too much for the Grizzly belt sander/buffer that I found on their site.

The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem... And I have a problem.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Collecting can become addictive . It would be great for all the knife smiths here to get together sometime and maybe sell some of your work to some of us HPAers ....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

trapjaw, contact J. Neilson from Towanda,Pa. Mountain Hollow Knifes. He is a Master Blade Smith and is one of the judges on the program Fire & Ice.There is only about 120 Master Blade Smiths in the world and J. is one of them. Go to his web site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page