Any forgers out there??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Any forgers out there???

Blacksmithing is one of my many hobbies. I've never made a knife before but I decided to give one a whirl after I completed another project. It's made out of some .5" rebar I had laying around. Crap steel I know but I'll try again with something that will actually hold an edge. It was a fun experiment . This only took me about 10 minutes to make and probably another 20 putting an ok grind/polish on it. Not sure if I'll put a handle on it or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Any forgers out there???

Not bad! I say put a handle on it, something local like hickory or oak.

Non est inquirendum, unde venit venison.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:00 PM
The Man

I forged one out of a coil spring one time. And didn't get the pitting, gaps or whatever you call it that you see in the photo, using rebar. I put a wood handle on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

yeah there was alot of scale on it. It was the end of the day and my fire was shallow and I was cranking on the air to get the coals hot. Too much oxygen can cause alot of scale or iron oxide.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Nice

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

That's a good start. Some folks like that forged finish these days.

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:27 AM

Very nice . That's something I've always wanted to try .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul
yeah there was alot of scale on it. It was the end of the day and my fire was shallow and I was cranking on the air to get the coals hot. Too much oxygen can cause alot of scale or iron oxide.
looks like a very usable knife, sharpen it and see how well it holds an edge. files make good stock for making knife blades also. as far as the scale problem, are you keeping the anvil clean when working the heated piece? if you have a lot of scale on the anvil, it will pound right back into your work. are you using a wire brush to remove it before cooling? you can also hit it on the anvil real quick before hammering to knock off a lot of the scale before working. also the same with water. after removing it from the fire and on your way to the anvil, dip in your cooling water very fast(in, out) and that will knock a lot of it off without losing your heat. hard to explain things like this, when you are just used to doing them without thinking about it. what heat source are you using for your forge?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 01:36 AM
Part of the Community

Looks nice. I tinker around with forging from time to time. I make knives but mainly do stock removal. I say throw a handle on it. I have some that never left the shop like that and remember them fondly whenever I come across them! A lot of the fun is in the doing
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I made it out of rebar, so I doubt that it will hold an edge for very long.

I have some coil springs I got at the scrap yard that I use for making tools that I could cut up and try and make a knife out of. I also have a bunch of old broken files I have picked up at yard sales specifically for this purpose. I just haven't made anything with them yet.

I've just started getting serious this spring about forging things. I have been mainly focusing on making tongs and tools and such when I get a chance. I had been using a homemade forge I made out of an old well pressure tank, but I recently bought an old champion lever forge that I have been restoring to use so I'll post pics in the DIY thread here when I'm done with it this winter. And on top of that my wife had our 1st child at the end of September so my free time for projects has been basically reduced to an hour here and there.

I did brush it a couple of times and I generally wipe all scale off my anvil in between heats, I was using up some free anthracite coal I was given and to keep that stuff going requires alot of air , also I was just screwing around so I wasn't really to concerned in my fire placement of the piece.

I've never seen anyone dip to get the scale off, I have seen spray bottles used before.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page