Kestrel 22LR\22MAG\17Hornet question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Kestrel 22LR\22MAG\17Hornet question

I have a Kestrel 22 suppressor that I've owned for several years.

I was looking at my reloading book for my .223 and it shows a Trail Boss load that will give a 55gr. bullet a sub-sonic velocity.

Does anyone think the .223 Trail Boss load (1,050fps) would be to much pressure for the 22 rimfire suppressor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM

suppressors suppress the gasses when you fire a round off. most 22lr suppressors are 1x6 inches because that's all that's needed because 22lrs are pretty small. a 5.56 round has alot more powder behind it to suppress. even if you run subs and whatnot it's more than what it's designed to do. not saying it wint work just not as effectively or as long depending on whether or not it has stainless 17-4 internals or aluminum.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 12:57 PM

i found this by googling your suppressor:

Multi-caliber

What's your caliber of choice? 22LR? 22 WMR? 17HMR? 5.7x28? 22 Hornet? Whatever it is, rest easy knowing your Kestrel was designed to handle the pressures generated. Constructed of high strength stainless steel, the Kestrel core provides a structural inner wall thicker than most manufacturers use for their outer tube. We then fully enclose the core in an outer tube, providing a double wall for safety and to maintain a superior finish even when using chemical solvents to clean your core.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks bohntr. I've shot my .17 Hornet using 20gr. bullets at velocities of 3,500-3,700fps with no harm to the suppressor. However, the little 17 Hornet is NOT sub-sonic and the BOOM is not much different that shooting it non-suppressed.

I know that "loading down" any given caliber reduces pressures, but I don't know the "how low" a sub-sonic .223 pressure is.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 09:50 PM

they make factory sub sonic .223 ammo. hickcock45 demonstrated some on u tube

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 PM
The Man

when reloading(or factory) subsonic...first shoot without suppressor at PB range...and about 25 ..50... 75...100....to make sure the bullet is stable as it leaves muzzle(for the suppressors sake) and then down range....

I know the end cap hole on my .22 suppressor is smaller than my center-fire suppressors...
bohunr and Steeltrap like this.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
when reloading(or factory) subsonic...first shoot without suppressor at PB range...and about 25 ..50... 75...100....to make sure the bullet is stable as it leaves muzzle(for the suppressors sake) and then down range....

I know the end cap hole on my .22 suppressor is smaller than my center-fire suppressors...
Good advice Limburger. (Limberger ? ) I don't want a sub-sonic anything going thru that suppressor unless it's dead straight!!
limbhnger10 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM
The Man

..on another "load down" note...I shoot a lot of H4895...with the 60% rule. It's not near sub...but it sure sounds good shooting yotes...
bohunr likes this.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
..on another "load down" note...I shoot a lot of H4895...with the 60% rule. It's not near sub...but it sure sounds good shooting yotes...
What is the advantage of loading this "down" vs a "full boat" load? Is it just the report of the slower one? Thanks!!
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Part of the Community

I would call manufacturer and ask them.

The volume of gas from a 223 compared to even a 22 mag is much larger. The suppressor needs to be able to handle the volume of gas as well as the bullet diameter. The suppressor may be able to handle one or two rounds without problems, a steady diet could be a different story.
limbhnger10 likes this.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in