NFA Trust - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

NFA Trust

as much as i value my privacy i am taking the plunge and getting a suppressor. with that said i was wondering about a NFA trust, anybody here do one at the time of purchase. i can do that for $25.00 but was told that it will hold up the paper work for what could be months more in addition to the usual 10 month or so wait for the suppressor.

i can also do it after i get the suppressor, but was told it will cost $200.00, that must be for an additional tax stamp ? just curious. i am going to do it after i get it, i want it for next predator season.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM

I have all of my NFA items in a trust. It was a lot simpler until Obama messed it up. You might wait 30-45 days extra for a trust but nothing egregious already more than the blatant trampling of your rights as it stands right now.

Yes, if you buy a silencer and buy a stamp in your name then when you transfer it to a trust it will cost another $200.

I'd look at the #'s of trusts written vs individuals... its very telling. I efile all of mine and I do Form 1's so my wait time is generally only 30 days or so.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

form 1's are for the trust ? and 4's are for the suppressor...correct ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:40 AM

I must be missing something as I don't see a benefit to the trust vs just owning the suppressor.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 AM
Part of the Community

This is my understanding of a trust and its benefits.

Benefit of trust is having the ability to add additional people for ownership of suppressors at no expense. I have one suppressor registered as individual, and another application for a suppressor pending for a trust. Once trust is approved I will add my son to the trust, that way either one of us can use the suppressors on our own. Also, when I pass, he will now have ownership of all suppressors without having to reapply for ownership and pay the $205 application fee for each suppressor.

Yes I will have to spend another $205 to have first suppressor put into trust. (The good part is I already have it)!! I did not realize this when I did my first application.
bohunr and limbhnger10 like this.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

with out a trust, the owner of the suppressor is the only person who can legally use it. no one else, not even a family member from what i understand. also, if the owner dies the family can not legally keep the suppressor with out a trust.

Federal felony charges apply.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Iíve been considering setting up an NFA trust as well.

Any good links on how to get started? Or good resources for establishing one?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:32 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
with out a trust, the owner of the suppressor is the only person who can legally use it. no one else, not even a family member from what i understand. also, if the owner dies the family can not legally keep the suppressor with out a trust.

This is my understanding as well. This is why I did the trust. Once my son is on trust, family is OK with ownership if something happens to me.

I did mine thru Silencer Shop, but bought a suppressor at the same time. Very easy, all electronic submission. There was one form that I had to sign and get notarized, scanned it to pdf, emailed to Silencer Shop. Much easier than I thought it would be.

I do not know if they do trusts without purchase. One phone call can answer all your questions.
bohunr likes this.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
form 1's are for the trust ? and 4's are for the suppressor...correct ?
Form 1s are if you are the manufacturer of the NFA item.

Form 4s are if you are purchasing an NFA item from a dealer.
bohunr likes this.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:

Here's my understanding of the law. I am NOT an attorney and this is NOT a legal opinion.

--Any member of the trust can posses and transport the NFA items and anyone can shoot them as long as a member of the trust is in the presence of that person.

--Just like a machine gun shoot - anyone can go and shoot the MGs that are owned by someone else that has them registered. Again, as long as the owner of MG is on site
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page