Looking for opinions/suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Looking for opinions/suggestions

Considering a AR, was never a fan but I don't necessarily want to be told I can't have one either.

Armalite AR10-TAC20 is what I am thinking but I have no loyalty to anything since AR's are not really my thing. Figure the .308 gives more hunting applications thus the AR10 rather than AR15. I figured the entire genre is "AR" so Armalite must have done something right.

Just hoping for some reasonable opinions/suggestions like my title said.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 PM

take a look at all the gun bans. AR's and look alikes are mentioned all the time. if you want a .308 i would look at the springfield socom or M1A models they are never on the t yet work the same. down side is they are twice as expensive. i like the looks of some of the DPMS GII models.

there are lots of options. i am sure someone with a lot more experience will jump in. welcome to the SA side of things...its a blast.

i have one in 223/556 that i use for woodchucks and predators....its fun. all i ever get is one shot, hit or miss. i dont know what it is...but there is something to it.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:09 PM

What is your price range? I picked up a Daneil Defense DD5V4 about 2 years ago and love it. It is 7.62 x 51mm (308) with an 18inch barrel. Shoots smoothly and feels great while handling and shooting.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't get an Armalite as they use a different pattern mags.

The SR-25/DPMS pattern mags are the most popular in the AR10 platform. They are much easier to obtain and better prices as well.

There is a huge difference between an AR15 and AR10.

AR15 much lighter and actually has a spec.

AR10 does not have mil specs and can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
bohunr, limbhnger10 and Marcus99 like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Whats your use? I have quite a few ARs. 6.8spc is a favorite. I have a few Dpms 556 and my go to hunting rifle for hogs is a dpms g2 lite. Im building another 308 with a 16in barrel currently. You can build a rifle with top notch parts for about 1100. Smith makes nice ARs for around 600. Id say start with smith or wyndom or dpms and spend the rest on a training course. Very beneficial
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks everyone for responding, I really dont look at it from a price point as much as I want to make sure I get a quality firearm that performs well. The Armalite is approx. 1800 without optics so building one for 1100 sounds like a much better route, also if Armalite is brand specific on mags, probably not a good move either. I dint know the AR10 vs AR15 mil spec info. either THANK YOU for pointing that out.

As I mentioned earlier, not very knowledgeable on these at all so the "take a course option" sounds great as well.

Again THANKS for your time and opinions.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not many choose Armalite for the AR10 due it being the oddball. You will get more options with the SR25/DPMS pattern.

I personally would tell you to go AR15 as parts are cheap and plentiful. The weight difference is huge. I built my AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor two years ago and I spared no expense as was able to get rifle with optics at 8bs.

If you get the 6.5Grendel or 6.8SPC in AR15, it will give you more power compared to .223/5.56. If you want serious power, take a look at the 458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Regular Visitor

What are we hunting?

Is the 7.62x39 enough?
Bit cheaper to shoot than the 6.'er's , can get quality ammo for it and the 7.62x39 is an accurate round when fired from an accurate platform.
Just another option instead of the 5.56
whil e kioti likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
What are we hunting?

Is the 7.62x39 enough?
Bit cheaper to shoot than the 6.'er's , can get quality ammo for it and the 7.62x39 is an accurate round when fired from an accurate platform.
Just another option instead of the 5.56
X2

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I would imagine I would be hunting big game if it were to be legalized, in the meantime metal siloouettes on a three gun course ???

I am not very knowledgeable on the platform to say the least, just want a good quality firearm that will last a lifetime when taken care of. Im not rich, but won't buy something cheap because it is, would rather save and buy it once.

Again can't thank you all enough for the input !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page