6.5 grendel build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

6.5 grendel build

I all of a sudden got the urge to build an ar. I decided I wanted a 6.5 creedmoor or grendel. The price of the components to build an ar10 and the creed fanboys scared me away from the needmoor so i ended up with the grendel. I figured for deer hunting itll be more than sufficient. Was originally set of a faxon 20” heavy fluted barrel, but couldnt find one. So i looked at wilson combats page and they had a bunch of barrels marked down pretty, good ended up with a 20” wilson hunter fluted barrel. Im planning on using my smith mp lower since i have a trigger i really like in it, and eventually build a lower. I have a colt bcg from my dad that im gonna use and a type 2 grendel bolt on the way. Just waiting for my a2 stock to come in, anderson upper and handguard. Ill post pictures of it when i get it built. Heres some pictures of the barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2A52C7E-A34C-4491-B18F-FEECA8370CF8_1557441593255.jpg (754.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1892B1EF-DFF2-43BB-8795-716346B27705_1557441607082.jpg (595.8 KB, 4 views)
limbhnger10 and whil e kioti like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Where are you planning to hunt deer with this at?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Uh West Virginia or wherever else I decide to travel and hunt at? Problem with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Put everything together today. Gotta swap over my leupold from my 223 upper to this one till i get a scope for it. Thinking a vortex diamonback but not 100% yet. Im pretty loyal to leupold. Only left to do is take it to the range. I bought some hornady black that has 123 eldms in it. Bought some dies, gotta try to decide on what bullets i wanna try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0FECB99-9326-4565-A8B8-E3C173D657BB_1557785859354.jpeg (618.3 KB, 9 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Elander makes the best mags for the 6.5G.

The other dude that responded sounds like a FUDD. You can use it...just remove the gas block and it would be a single shot if you must us it in PA. Not that you have to explain that to any FUDD in PA.
bohunr and Waynzee like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
Elander makes the best mags for the 6.5G.

The other dude that responded sounds like a FUDD. You can use it...just remove the gas block and it would be a single shot if you must us it in PA. Not that you have to explain that to any FUDD in PA.
Does just removing the gas block make it legal to hunt with in Pa? I have heard/read many peoples opinions on the subject, but have never read the actual law. Would you post a link to the regulation?

Good luck, Tony
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony300wby View Post
Does just removing the gas block make it legal to hunt with in Pa? I have heard/read many peoples opinions on the subject, but have never read the actual law. Would you post a link to the regulation?

Good luck, Tony

check this out. https://kalikey.com/

i e-mailed the PGC and asked if this would make a SA rifle legal to hunt big game with in PA. it converts your AR-15 gas rifle to a manually operated bolt action. i hope they say yes...
kwing1 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 PM

How is it balanced? I feel like it would be front heavy with a 20inch barrel.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
How is it balanced? I feel like it would be front heavy with a 20inch barrel.
I have a grendel with a 20in barrel as well. 15in M-LOK rail. I have a bipod on the front of it at times. Its actually not as front heavy as you think. IMO any longer barrel it would be. It is less front end heavy than my rem 760. I like it more than my 16in with 12in hand guard 556 upper since i can have my hand further out without burning my hand, but its just a little heavier. I do use my 556 for comps and a house gun.
I definitely recommend the caliber though.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
check this out. https://kalikey.com/

i e-mailed the PGC and asked if this would make a SA rifle legal to hunt big game with in PA. it converts your AR-15 gas rifle to a manually operated bolt action. i hope they say yes...

got an answer:

Quote:
If the weapon is permanently altered to a manually operated firearm it would not be illegal, however our officers are not gunsmiths and if they observe what appears to be a semi-automatic firearm in the field, and have any doubts that the firearm is permanently altered, they may seize the firearm and send it to the State Police Lab for examination by a ballistic/firearms certified expert, which may take months due to their backlogs. So while a permanently altered AR -15 style firearm would not be illegal, there is no way for an officer to determine that in the field, and it may subject the owner to having the firearm seized for expert examination and is therefore unadvisable, but not illegal.
Thanks for checking,
[email protected]
i guess the next step is to ask the PSP if that would fit the definition of a permanent alteration.
Marcus99 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page