80% AR308 Build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I'm purchasing initial parts and tools to finish a lower and build my first AR. I've researched for a couple months and have experience rebuilding my marlin 336....I recognize the challenge but remain confident I can handle this and any modifications potentially needed for this platform. I've settled on the DPMS pattern for the greater selection and compatibility of parts. The intended use is for bugout/defense, potential deer hunting one day, and predator hunting...and targets for fun. Priorities are weight, looks, accuracy, and price. I feel more comfortable with an aluminum receiver than polymer, and I'll be using a 5D Tactical jig. I'm going 80% so there's no paper on it when the libs finally take over. I've read @hackmeister 's thread below and learned quite a bit, but that was a complete lower and my budget might be a little more conservative.

I thought I'd survey you guys to see what your opinions are before I order start ordering parts. I figured I'd start with a matched receiver set and spread purchases over a couple/few months.

Edit: Also, I haven't completely ruled out buying an 80% complete rifle kit. I've found a few for around $800. I'm not necessarily limited to that range, but it's worth noting I can't buy a la carte without spending at least that amount....probably more in the $1k-1600 range.

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 04-08-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:28 AM

several manufacturers have basic AR-10 (.308) for 800.00 and under if you do not want to build. DPMS Oracle is one.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe you will be spending a lot more money for a 80% lower and the jig plus the drill and milling bits, than you would pay for a striped lower...unless you plan to finish more lowers or sell the jig and bits...IMO, it wouldn't be worth it.

Just my 2 cents...but a heavy AR10 wouldn't be my choice as a "bugout" weapon...the AR15 is lighter and you can carry more ammo per pound.

Just curious...but if you want a .30 cal weapon...have you considered a AR15 in 7.62x39?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Last edited by whil e kioti; 04-08-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
several manufacturers have basic AR-10 (.308) for 800.00 and under if you do not want to build. DPMS Oracle is one.
Yes, I've seen some completed 308's for under $800...but while price is important, it's not the primary concern. I want to build it myself and I want to mill out my own lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
I believe you will be spending a lot more money for a 80% lower and the jig plus the drill and milling bits, than you would pay for a striped lower...unless you plan to finish more lowers or sell the jig and bits...IMO, it wouldn't be worth it.

Just my 2 cents...but a heavy AR10 wouldn't be my choice as a "bugout" weapon...the AR15 is lighter and you can carry more ammo per pound.

Just curious...but if you want a .30 cal weapon...have you considered a AR15 in 7.62x39?
Yeah, price is a consideration but not the primary one. I will in fact spend much more for the jig and tools ($254) than the cost of a finished lower. I'm good with that. I don't want a serialized receiver.

I know these are heavier guns, and weight is a concern, but i think I'm okay with 7-8 pounds. I have briefly considered other calibers. Maybe I'll reconsider other 30's. I wasn't really wanting an AK style, but I don't really have a good reason why. I'll need to research more on that, thanks for the suggestion. Other options are to purchase more expensive, but considerably lighter upper parts.

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 04-08-2018 at 01:42 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 02:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure what you mean by "AK style"...I'm talking about a AR15 chambered in 7.62x39.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

AR10 is a lot different than AR15 and this is your first, so I'd say stay clear.

AR10 does not have a mil spec like AR15 does...what that means is that you have the Armalite or SR25/DPMS pattern.

I thought about doing 80% lowers, but the cost is much more...and if you want a "ghost gun" you can just buy the lower FTF with no paperwork in PA.

You can buy a complete upper/lower from PSA for around $600...you aren't going to do that with an 80% lower budget.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:29 PM

i like the idea of a non serialized, no paperwork gun. if they ever have a confiscation order they wont know you have one. of course i dont think they will even find half of the serialized ones they think they know about.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Not sure what you mean by "AK style"...I'm talking about a AR15 chambered in 7.62x39.
7.62x39 is an AK-47 round. It hadn't occurred to me that I could match an AR15 lower to an upper chambered for that round. Your idea has me intrigued...I see lots of benefits. It's a more versatile round than 5.56 to accommodate my anticipated usage (defense and deer), and an AR15 model would eliminate my concerns of overall weight. It seems there's a ton of reliability issues though, running that ammo thru an AR-15...the ammo requires more of a banana curved magazine (AK47 style) or else feeding issues are common... among several other issues. I love the idea, so I'll keep researching that route.

I also may purchase the 5D Tactical multiplatform jig instead of the 308 jig...for future builds...maybe an AR15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
AR10 is a lot different than AR15 and this is your first, so I'd say stay clear.

AR10 does not have a mil spec like AR15 does...what that means is that you have the Armalite or SR25/DPMS pattern.

I thought about doing 80% lowers, but the cost is much more...and if you want a "ghost gun" you can just buy the lower FTF with no paperwork in PA.

You can buy a complete upper/lower from PSA for around $600...you aren't going to do that with an 80% lower budget.
I've read some of your posts on similar threads and respect your opinion greatly. Really, cost is always a factor but not my primary concern. I will spread the cost over several months if i have to, as long as I end up with a gun I'm very happy with. I want the satisfaction of building it myself, but the complete rifle kits and complete uppers have tempted me.

I am aware that 308 doesn't have the standardized platform that AR15 has.... actually, partially thanks to your post on an older thread. I know that I need to carefully research all parts to ensure they will work together. I've already decided on a DPMS pattern simply because there are more options available.

I love how @hackmeister 's turned out. My receiver have to be a few ounces heavier, but I'm hoping to similarly find a lightweight barrel and handguard to hopefully keep weight under 8 pounds.

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 04-09-2018 at 12:36 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Hunter View Post
7.62x39 is an AK-47 round. It hadn't occurred to me that I could match an AR15 lower to an upper chambered for that round. Your idea has me intrigued...I see lots of benefits. It's a more versatile round than 5.56 to accommodate my anticipated usage (defense and deer), and an AR15 model would eliminate my concerns of overall weight. It seems there's a ton of reliability issues though, running that ammo thru an AR-15...the ammo requires more of a banana curved magazine (AK47 style) or else feeding issues are common... among several other issues. I love the idea, so I'll keep researching that route.
I have 5 and10 round mags that are straight with no feeding Iissues...only the 20 and 30 round mags that I have are cruved.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @whil e kioti , it's an interesting path to take with this project that I hadn't considered. I'm not going to move until I've thought this all the way through. Much appreciated!
whil e kioti likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page