80% AR308 Build - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It looks like i can get it running 7.62 pretty good by using polished m4 feed ramps, enhanced firing pin (or file the standard pin and bolt a few hundredths), and only using cpd mags. That'll give me .30 caliber that I want at the expense of range and trajectory that I would get with the 308, and the notable benefit of a much lighter rifle and cheaper ammo. I would use small mags for hunting. I would want larger mags for targets and zombies but I dont really care for the aesthetics of the larger AK looking magazines.

So, I'll chew on it for a few days. Compromise looks and longer range ballistics for weight and money? Tempting...

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 04-09-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 AM

since zombies are a consideration what about availability of ammo in case the SHTF ? how common is 7.62 ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
since zombies are a consideration what about availability of ammo in case the SHTF ? how common is 7.62 ?
The 7.62x39 is the same round used in the AK...cheap steel case ammo is readily avaiable...also quality brass cased hunting ammo is manufactured by several companies...you can also purchase unprimed brass and roll your own.
bohunr likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, these rounds can be found easily, for really cheap, and with lots of different options. I believe Russia and China etc have moved to a more finesse round like 5.56, but a lot of mid east and African countries still use AK's so I think the round will maybe get a little more expensive over the years but remain available.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I think I'm going to end up doing it all....I don't like compromises. I'm going to go with the multiplatform jig and finish two lowers...15 and 308. I'm going to build the 308 that I've wanted. And I'm going to build an upper in 5.56 as well as x39. Eventually, I'll teach my son how to mill out his own lower for one of those two calibers...or buy a completed lower...so they'll be individual rifles and he can keep one.
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 04-10-2018 at 08:21 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So, here's a wrinkle in my plans. The boss (wife) and I have started looking at houses. That occupies a lot of time. I'm honestly concerned about Pennsylvania legislating our freedoms away....sooner than later. So, I went and bought a completed AR to at least have one grandfathered in. I decided on 6.5 Grendel... similar enough in power to x39 but ballistics like a 308, in a lightweight AR15 platform.

I'm still going to mill 2 lowers, just not this month.
bohunr likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

80% AR Build

New 6.5G arrives tomorrow...can full of ammo ready to go! Can't wait! Bought a home last week... it closes next month. I need to resist spending money until closing day, but hope to pick this project back up in July.

Title edited: removed 308
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Did you build the lower yet?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No, not yet. I have ordered my multijig though. Here's the 6.5G...I couldn't finish sighting in all the way, but im on the paper with the flip up sights. Need some optics now.... thinking a red dot paired with a flip over 3x magnifier.

Edit: I just ordered something cheap for the time being. TRS-25 red dot and hopefully the right riser to cowitness absolute. Also got a UTG 3x flip to side magnifier. Around a hundred bucks or so for everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180510_194550_1526094566987.jpg (1.01 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 05-11-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page