AR Varmint Upper - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

AR Varmint Upper

Looking for recommendations on a AR Varmint upper that won't break the bank. Seems like we are living in the "good old days" or AR's and everything is selling for cheap. Did a quick google search but everything I've seen is $600+ range.

I've been considering a new AR upper in 223/5.56(interested in 223 wylde chamber) looking for something accurate for long range shooting, flat top-optics ready, heavy barrel 20 inch range.

Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:42 AM

i found this. i have no idea about quality.

https://www.ar15part.com/product-p/2...x8fsg2exlr.htm

i use my 16 inch DPMS 5.56 / .223 good to 200 yards. i think the varmint designation, bull barrel and the wylde is going to cost a lot more than a normal barrel with the right length and twist rate is going to. i am sure others with more experience will have better answers.

from what i understand the Wylde chamber will allow you to shoot .223 so will a 5.56

here is one from Stag Arms:

https://www.stagarms.com/stag-15-varminter-upper/

Best of Luck.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Last edited by bohunr; 01-29-2018 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

When I was faced with this decision I wanted a proven co. I went with white oak. Glad I did. same hole at 100 yards.
Dogface and Marcus99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check out Bear Creek Arsenal.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 01:30 PM

I got an AR Stoner 24" bull stainless barrel from Midway and built my own upper. Rifle length gas, side charging receiver(was going to be my PA legal AR before they legalized them). I want to say with the factory second carbon fiber handgaurd I had less then $500 invested. At 300 yards(the longest I have access to) off bags I can hold a 2" group. That may be some of my fault, all I had to put on it for a scope at the time was a 3-9x40. I want to upgrade that before this summer to at least a 4-16, but I have my eyes on an 8-32 that's really got me licking my chops... Just need cash.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
The Man

The best shooting upper I have is one I bought from RRA a few years ago. At the time they called it the LEF-T Coyote upper with the EOP or elevated optical platform. I use mine for hunting and I test accuracy by shooting 5 shot groups. It usually puts my hunting loads into less than an inch and I have a few loads that shoot under .5".

My latest logs indicate that when I sighted it in for chucks this past summer I shot 3 five shot groups with 52 grain Speer BTHPs that went into less than .5". It also put two groups of 69 grain Sierras Match Kings into .5 and .7".

That is not bad for a relatively light weight AR. With heavy glass mine weighs in about 8.5 lb.

There is something else to consider if you want it for hunting and that is weight. I shoot with guys who have good shooting ARs but they are shooting target weight barrels. Their guns are heavy and awkward and I would not want to carry one hunting. And they still don't shoot as good as mine!

The downside is that it was about $700. They may be cheaper today because like you said prices are coming down.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
The best shooting upper I have is one I bought from RRA a few years ago. At the time they called it the LEF-T Coyote upper with the EOP or elevated optical platform. I use mine for hunting and I test accuracy by shooting 5 shot groups. It usually puts my hunting loads into less than an inch and I have a few loads that shoot under .5".

My latest logs indicate that when I sighted it in for chucks this past summer I shot 3 five shot groups with 52 grain Speer BTHPs that went into less than .5". It also put two groups of 69 grain Sierras Match Kings into .5 and .7".

That is not bad for a relatively light weight AR. With heavy glass mine weighs in about 8.5 lb.

There is something else to consider if you want it for hunting and that is weight. I shoot with guys who have good shooting ARs but they are shooting target weight barrels. Their guns are heavy and awkward and I would not want to carry one hunting. And they still don't shoot as good as mine!

The downside is that it was about $700. They may be cheaper today because like you said prices are coming down.
Yeah I have always wanted a RRA and their uppers are pretty much what I'm looking for, however the $700 is out of my price range I think. Maybe I'm just wishing for something that doesn't exist, but I can't see spending $700 on an upper when complete carbine rifles are selling for less.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Yeah I have always wanted a RRA and their uppers are pretty much what I'm looking for, however the $700 is out of my price range I think. Maybe I'm just wishing for something that doesn't exist, but I can't see spending $700 on an upper when complete carbine rifles are selling for less.

I can understand that. When we bought ours the prices were up there but we decided to spend the money for the accuracy.

We did research before we bought them. We bought two. My buddy called RRA and he felt pretty good about what they told him.

I was going to build an upper with the White Oak barrel but we were taking our chance with accuracy but we knew RRA would stand behind theirs.

In the end I am very happy with the RRA.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post

The problem is your comparing a high quality accurate upper to a basic carbine. It's like comparing plinking ammo to match ammo, the plinking ammo is cheap but you won't get the same performance as match ammo. My buddy bought one of those cheap AR carbines, it went bang and that was about its only redeeming feature.

In many cases you get what you pay for, if your willing to build it yourself and wait for sales then you should be able to part it out for less than buying a complete upper.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM

thats not always true. i have a DPMS M-4 with a 16 inch barrel 1:9 twist, i get the same accuracy out of that at 200 yards as i do my remington 700.

about a 2inch group maybe a little bigger and thats with factory ammo and a simmons scope i did have the gunsmith polish the trigger for $35.00

i realize that with a target grade barrel and handloads it would improve drastically but i cant pay for something thats more accurate than i am

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page