Complexities of the Law - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Hiamovi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Complexities of the Law

Was just debating taking my AR out for some coyote hunting, when I realized that my AR is classified as a pistol being that it is only 10.3 inch barrel and not a Short barrel rifle which would require a form 1. Was really looking forward to using it as I have a suppressor that recently got the stamp back for and was hoping to put it to good some use at night. These laws sure are frustrating. No offense to WCO but I am fairly certain that the NFA regulations are not something they are very familiar with which makes me angry that these laws make it so easy for a lawful gun owner to be in the wrong unknowingly.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:45 AM

If you passed the NFA check you also know it is your responsibility to know the laws pertaining to the use of the firearm.You knew that when you built it.Put a longer barrel on it for hunting.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Actually, what you wrote in red is wrong because if the lower is a pistol, adding a 16"+ in barrel upper would still make it a pistol. AR pistols are not defined by the length of the barrel. Also, the AR pistol would not have a stock on it as that would make it an SBR, which was what the OP was referring to in his statements.

Not trying to sound like a wise guy, but you told him to know the laws and you make comments that could get someone into trouble by breaking the law.

Perhaps you should know the law before you lecture someone else on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
If you passed the NFA check you also know it is your responsibility to know the laws pertaining to the use of the firearm.You knew that when you built it.Put a longer barrel on it for hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:01 PM

So you have an AR pistol, and a suppressor, and you're trying to tell me that you don't have another AR(rifle) laying around the house somewhere? lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess I was misunderstood, I do know the laws, and yes I do have other AR uppers I can run, but that AR pistol was built for suppressed use. My point more than anything was the laws can be very complicated, and my concern would be having to explain to a WCO the regulations should be I be stopped. Even though I do know the laws, I would be shocked if the average WCO knows the difference between an AR pistol/rifle and NFA regulation, but considering that ARs are now legal for certain game, I would hope that is integrated in the education and continuing education of wildlife game officers. Many people in PA think it's illegal to hunt with a suppressor but it's actually legal, and for hunting at night I find it very beneficial, not to mention helpful in not disturbing resident that live next to land that I hunt.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:32 PM

i bet the WCO knows that semi auto pistols are not legal for hunting.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page