Good tactical flashlight recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Good tactical flashlight recommendations

Need a good tactical hand held flashlight. How many lumens are needed to be bright and visual at 100 Yds. and Temporary blind for self defense on high bean, yet lower beam for close searching and walking plus possibly a strobe. What kind of battery is best...rechargable, AAA or CV 123A?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 PM

I have a SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 Tactical Series Professional Flashlight I ordered off Amazon. I have had it 4 years and still goes great.
It can be seen from, 4 miles out and will light up areas over a 1/4 mile away.
Has high, low, SOS, Strobe and flash settings. It holds a charge waiting to be used for months. It can be used either with the rechargeable battery it came with or 3 AAA batteries in the provided holder if charging isn't possible.

The front end of the light would do serious damage if you raked someone with it and the strobe light would render any attacker unable to see what they were in store for next.
It is listed as waterproof but mine has never been submerged in water but has seen plenty of rainstorms over the years.
If I needed to replace this light I would order another without hesitation.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Birch812; 08-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

How many lumens is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

1200 Lumens
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

I've got one on my AR that I purchased at a gun show for something like $40.00. I just wanted a functional, fore grip mounted light that would illuminate a room or other close quarters area. I don't know how many lumens it puts out, but I tested it in my back yard one night, and it lit up my woodpile from my back deck with ease, a distance of roughly 60 yards. Its also got a low setting, and the blinder flash setting. It takes only one AA battery which is nice. I don't like those lights that the battery costs more than the light itself. I have no idea of the brand name. Probably Wang Dang China or some such, but it does work.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 08-15-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a Streamlite ProTac HL USB Rechargeable light from Cabela's last year. I like it so far. It's got low/strobe/high settings. It ran $149.99. A little steep, but I waited for promotions and coupons and got the price down.

Here's the specs:

Streamlight® ProTac HL® USB Rechargeable Tactical Light

850 lumens on high
Recharge battery from nearly any USB source
Also accepts commercially available lithium batteries
Eliminate the need to buy expensive batteries with the Streamlight ProTac HL USB Rechargeable Tactical Light. Included cable and lithium-ion rechargeable battery lets you recharge the light from nearly any USB power source – at home or on the go. The versatile light can also accept two 3-volt CR-123A lithium batteries or one Li-ion 18650 rechargeable battery (sold separately), ensuring you'll always have a way to use your light. Multifunction, push-button tail switch allows easy one-handed operation and couples with Ten-Tap® programming to let you select between three program modes. Brilliant C4® LED puts out 850 lumens on high and strobe, 350 lumens on medium and 85 lumens on low. Self-adjusting battery cradle keeps batteries secure, no matter which size you're using. Durable, anodized-aluminum body with anti-roll head for worry-free use. O-ring-sealed glass lens resists scratches and keeps dirt out. Sliding metal sleeve protects USB port. Removable pocket clip. IPX4 water-resistant construction; impact-resistant to 1m. Manufacturer's limited lifetime warranty.
6.5"L.
Wt: 7.2 oz. with battery.
Run times:
High – 850 lumens for 1.5 hours
Medium – 350 lumens for 4 hours
Low – 85 lumens for 12 hours
Strobe – 850 lumens for 1.5 hours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page