Finnaly took the plunge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Finnaly took the plunge

Well i finally took the plunge and went and bought an ar Saturday, last weekend a local shop had the dpms oracle on sale for $399 so i was gonna go buy it. Called sold the last one, so since then i was kinda wanting one, so went to another shops annual sale/range day and came home with a smith mp 15 flat top. I think i got a better gun then what i was gonna get the weekend before. When the guy told me it came with a 30rd mag i asked him ifnwe could switch it for a 10rd since i dont have no use for the 30rd, shouldve seen his face ha. Only problem was i didnt know ars need special height rings, went to put a redfield 3-9 on her with my burris rings and it was way low couldnt look thru it. So going tuesday to cabelas to get either a leupold or burris mount. Cant wait to take it out for some groundhogs and foxes/yotes later this year as this was the deciding factor of me getting one. Gotta get some regular non crimped brass so i can work up some loads for her, have some 55 match bullets i thinkll work just fine on groundhogs. Looks odd in my one gun cabinet with some of my other guns!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1935_1497831001278.jpg (1.17 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1931_1497831043047.jpg (911.1 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:13 PM

There is no magazine restriction for hunting so why not 30rd?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
There is no magazine restriction for hunting so why not 30rd?
I like the way it looks without the huge mag on it, looks more like a sniper rifle lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallace911 View Post
I like the way it looks without the huge mag on it, looks more like a sniper rifle lol
Fair enough, sometimes the shorter mags are easier to shoot off the bench also.
Bates likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM
The Man

Good choice.

I think the M&P 15 is the best value out there. If you have H-335 try 26 grains behind a "good" 50 or 52 grain bullet. That load shots great out of my M&P 15.
BOOTOXEN likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM

search the net for the mounts/rings before you go to Cabelas. you could save some cash

NRA life member
DU member
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM

I don't have much experience with DPMS, I'm sure they're fine, but I think you got a better gun in the S&W
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Banned

Get a 20 round mag. This way you have the best of both worlds. A shorter mag that won't hang up if shooting prone, plus you have plenty of spare ammo. I've got a couple 20 round mags and I prefer them over the 30 rounders I have.

When mounting the scope, you need the higher mounts due to the straight stock configuration. If the stock had some drop to it like most rifles, then you could get away with lower mounted scopes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Was able to take her to the range today, had some ppu 55gr fmj, ppu 69gr match and some federal nosler ballist tips. Everything shot around 1.5-2" af 100 which isnt bad for the first time out, the 69gr match was just a touch better than the others though. I hate the buttstock, dont feel like i can get rock solid lots of slop, thinkig of going to a fixed one or something thatll have a tighter fit. All in all with some reloads, and getting the stock squared away i think shell be a really nice shooting rifle. I was never an ar guy and since they allowed them this year I figured i had to have one because that was always my excuse to not get one because i couldnt hunt with it, well after shooting it today i wished i wouldve gotten one sooner! Here she is with the scope mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1942_1498185442844.jpg (671.1 KB, 6 views)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallace911 View Post
I was never an ar guy and since they allowed them this year I figured i had to have one because that was always my excuse to not get one because i couldnt hunt with it,

I never heard the excuse before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page