Thinking of doing an AR308 build in the coming year - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thinking of doing an AR308 build in the coming year

I'm considering doing an AR308 build in the coming year. I've previously built 4 AR15s and I'm pretty confident I can handle it. In fact it looks somewhat easier since most of the roll pins have been replaced with threaded screws on the AR308 platform. In general the AR308 is not as standardized as much as the AR15 platform and many rifles are relatively proprietary (M&P10). I see a lot of the uppers and lowers sold follow the DPMS pattern. I was considering getting a stripped Aero Precision matched upper and lower and doing my build a piece at a time. I like being able to select my components and spread the cost out over an extended period and the wife tends to not notice a new rifle "showing up" one day. Has anyone done a similar build and offer any advice or tips to avoid "gotchas"? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hackmeister; 12-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM
New Arrival

I built an AR308 using Black Rain receivers. They now have LPK's for this specifically I believe, I had to piece meal mine. Be careful on the buffer and spring. As you said stick with DPMS platform everything and you will be fine. I used a 20" barrel and the gun is kinda heavy, def a bench gun. Think about how you are going to use it and keep the weight in mind, a lot of the parts are just bigger. One of my favorite guns, has been every reliable and the accuracy is incredible! Good luck!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

It's going to be a hunting gun so I definitely want it to be relatively light and accurate. I was thinking an 18'' barrel with a can. What barrel did you end up using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:51 PM
New Arrival

I used a stainless black hole weaponry barrel with a Precision Firearms muzzle brake. They were having a really good sale so I jumped on it. My deer rifle is a Winchester 70 featherlight. The new semi auto law is great but there is no way I am lugging that AR308 out there! you might want to look at the DPMS G II. I think they are making the lightest one of these available. I know it kills your desire to build but I am not sure how you might build and keep they weight down that much. The hunter model is just under 8 lbs. DPMS GII // DESIGNED II DOMINATE MICRO
hackmeister likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

I see you posting on other forums as well.

I'll tell you this, if you are serious about getting an AR10 you should consider the following.

1) Weight is a huge issue with the AR10 platform. I've owned three of them and they all shot great, but they are very heavy.

2)AR10 is not the same as AR15 have standards. Putting an AR10 together is more difficult to get it to run properly.

If you have a realistic budget, I'd highly recommend going with the 2A upper/lower combo. The set is very light and it will reduce the overall weight of the rifle.

I would stick with the DPMS pattern as there are more mags available compared to the true Armalite AR10 pattern.

XANTHOS-lite "Large Frame" Receiver Set - 2A Armament

I might put one together for my Elk hunt. If I build it, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor with an 18/20" barrel as it's going to be long once you add suppressor.
hackmeister likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

So I've officially started my project. I ordered a complete lower DPMS parts kit for $50 from MidwayUSA. I'm going to wait for sales before buying an upper and lower. That Xanthos matched set from 2A looks great but it's basically double the price of Aero or DPMS. I'll need to think about it. Thanks.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm sticking to the DPMS high pattern for my components. I was very tempted to buy that OEM Aero Precision rifle on Brownells for $899 but ultimately decided to go the piece meal route. I want this to be a top notch hunting build so accuracy and weight are the main factors in my component selection. I've ordered a Timney skeleton trigger (4 lb. pull) and an Odinworks m-lok lightweight free float handguard. Both are back ordered from Opticsplanet and will show up whenever. Next month I'll probably order the upper and lower and have them (along with the handguard) cerakoted in burnt bronze similar to this guy's rifle:
Dogface likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

An update where I'm currently at. The Odinworks handguard and Timney trigger have come in. I ordered and received a 2A Arms .308 18 inch lightweight match barrel. It requires a rifle length gas tube and has a 1/10 twist. I just ordered a 2A Arms matched lightweight upper and lower. The combined weight of the upper/lower is 16 ounces. Once the upper/lower show up I'll have them cerakoted (along with the handguard and buffer tube). After the parts are cerakoted I can start the build process in earnest. The remaining parts I need are a gas block, bolt carrier group and a gas tube. The 2A Arms parts are on the pricey side but they are much lighter than most other components on the market. This is probably going to be my last AR pattern build and will become my primary hunting rifle. As far as a muzzle comp/break I'm going to get a Griffin Arms device for mounting my can.

Last edited by hackmeister; 03-09-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
New Arrival

I'm starting a 308 build as well. Last year I built a 300AAC AR pistol and it shoots very well...It even cycles subs well with the "Barking Spider 2" Krinkov style muzzle device. I've only had 1 failure to load, because I haven't filed the inner nibs to accommodate the fatter .308 bullet.

Since PA is going to allow Semi-auto for hunting (pending final vote) I'm going to start my AR-10 build. I'm going with a heavier barrel though. I'm 6'3" 225 and hike 12+ miles with 25+ lb backpack, and I don't have too far to walk over relatively flat ground to get on stand. I'm not really concerned with the weight factor.

Did you chose the 2A over the Aero upper/lower set for the weight considerations or was there another reason? I was planning on the Aero Enhanced Set.

Free men do not need permission to bear arms - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by TreeBeard; 03-17-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Apparently, I suck at spelling
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Did you chose the 2A over the Aero upper/lower set for the weight considerations or was there another reason? I was planning on the Aero Enhanced Set.
Weight was the primary reason. I was seriously considering a Windham Arms rifle. They are relatively lite-weight but are very basic as far as the components used. This is going to be my main hunting rifle and I wanted top quality parts. I wanted a Timney trigger, match barrel, a nice free float handguard and an adjustable gas block (based on my experiences with two 300 AAC builds and suppressors). 2A is expensive but I'm going the piece meal route over a prolonged period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page