Thinking of doing an AR308 build in the coming year - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

My 2A matched upper and lower came in. I'm dropping them off today along with the handguard & buffer tube to get cerakoted. It will probably be 1-3 weeks until I get them back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Got the cerakoted parts back on Saturday morning and pretty much finished the build. I'm only missing a bolt carrier and some sights. I'm really happy how the build came out. The finish looks really great. Depending on the lighting it looks like a dark earth color or a nice metallic.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Here are some pics:

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AR301-1.jpeg (136.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg AR308-2.jpeg (136.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg AR308-3.jpeg (151.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpeg AR308-4.jpeg (138.1 KB, 9 views)
Dogface and whil e kioti like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Did you order 2A barrel directly from them or from a vendor?

I just picked up my Xanthos set yesterday. Best price I found was a LGS that is a 2A dealer. I might get the 2A 6.5 Creedmoor barrel due to it's weight. I'm considering getting a Proof Research CF barrel, but that 2A barrel is pretty light and it's already threaded. Hard to justify $800 + for a Proof barrel and they aren't even threaded.

Why is your scope mount so far back on the receiver? The whole purpose for a cantilever mount is to have the optic forward.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Did you order 2A barrel directly from them or from a vendor?
The upper, lower, barrel and bolt are all 2A that I purchased directly from them.

Quote:
I just picked up my Xanthos set yesterday. Best price I found was a LGS that is a 2A dealer. I might get the 2A 6.5 Creedmoor barrel due to it's weight. I'm considering getting a Proof Research CF barrel, but that 2A barrel is pretty light and it's already threaded. Hard to justify $800 + for a Proof barrel and they aren't even threaded.
I'm interested in 6.5. Creedmoor and might do a second upper in the future. Let me know how it works out for you.

Quote:
Why is your scope mount so far back on the receiver? The whole purpose for a cantilever mount is to have the optic forward.
Eye relief. The scope is a Nikon M308. I set the buttstock to a comfortable length then mounted the scope. If I move it any more forward the eye relief goes to crap. This is my first Nikon scope. I might upgrade to something better down the road but for now it will do.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

That...is a gorgeous looking rifle! I've been kicking around the idea of building an AR this year, and I want it in .308 which is how I stumbled here. Given the current and likely future political climate, I'd greatly prefer it be a ghost. Is there any place to find an 80% 2A xanthos lite lower? I can't seem to find one on Google...or a jig anyway.

Edit: I think I'm gonna go 5D Tactical for the unfinished lower and matched upper. I'll probably buy that and their jig in April.

Last edited by Rugged Hunter; 03-07-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page