need help with AR15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
The Man

need help with AR15

Short version: Bought the gun, shot it a few hundred rounds, separated the upper and lower, cleaned it thoroughly, re-assembled it, put it in the safe. Took it out to shoot saturday, and none of the magazines, including the original will latch into the gun. The only way it will latch is if I push the little lever on the left side and while holding it in, push the mag in the whole way. But then, when I charge it, the first round won't fire. I eject that round and then I can fire the gun until empty. Ii figure I got something askew when I cleaned/re-assembled it. What did I do wrong??

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

When you disassembled the AR15 how far did you go? It sounds like you might just need to back out the magazine catch. If it's screwed in too far, it could cause your issue. The threads should be flush to the magazine release button.

Can you take a picture of the magazine release?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
The Man

All i did at the time was remove the charging rod and bolt. I didn't go any further. I tried the magazines last evening after writing this and they all worked, but it just took a little too much pressure to get them to seat in my opinion. I will take a look at that mag release. Would that also cure the issue with the first round no firing? Should i have to hit the forward assist every time I install a new mag, and chamber the first round? OR maybe I didn't clean something properly? It only does it with the round chambered when a mag is installed, then the gun shoots great

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

When seating a mag, slap that joker in there, don't worry about breaking it, give it a good smack with your palm.

Also, how many rounds did you have in the mag? If you had the full 30 try 28 or 29. Sometimes having the full 30 in them will make them difficult to seat.

As far as the round not firing, when you insert a new mag, do you have the bolt open or closed? is the round getting a primer strike or by your forward assist comment are you saying whenever you insert a new mag, when you release the bolt the round does not enter the chamber fully causing you to have to tap the forward assist to get the round fully seated in the chamber but it wont fire because the round will not be fully seat?

What mags are you running?

If your round is not seating fully I suspect its because you are babying your gun. ARs are guns that are meant to be run hard, abused and have fun with, they are not the kind of gun that you would introduce to your parents haha.

You could be unconsciously riding the bolt forward when you charge it. Try loading a mag on an open bolt, and then just smack the bolt release with your hand like it just keyed your new truck. It should slam that shell into the chamber with some authority and you should be good to go.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I must be doing something wrong, because when I pull the bolt back on an empty gun, (without a mag in) it doesn't lock back. I'm going to get serious with this issue right after deer season.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Did it regardless of how many rounds were in the mag

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

The bolt release is on a pivot, so you can pull the bolt back on an empty gun and press the bolt release "in" and it will lock back the bolt on an empty mag.

The # of rounds in the mag was just eluding to how that can make it harder to seat sometimes. But if you are indeed unconsciously riding the bolt forward then it would not matter how many rounds are in the mag.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleben View Post
I must be doing something wrong, because when I pull the bolt back on an empty gun, (without a mag in) it doesn't lock back. I'm going to get serious with this issue right after deer season.
It needs the mag to activate the bolt stop or you have to activate it manually.

Last edited by Dogface; 11-29-2016 at 03:30 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM
The Man

Check for an obstruction or dirt inside the mag well that would have prevented the mag catch from fully grabbing the mag or keeping the mag from being fully inserted and locked into place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page