Which AR? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Which AR?

Being a newbie to ar's, I'm looking for a gun that resembles this. Reliable, accurate adaptable for accessories. It would have a 16 inch barrel. I'm not sure where to start and I probably wouldn't put one together my self. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Which AR?

I am also rather new to ARs , probably the 1st question is what is your budget , for me i wanted to keep the price low , so i bought a DPMS oracle. it shot ok , functions well , the trigger was really bad accuracy was ok but i wanted better so after a new timney trigger , a free float forend all told costing several hundred dollars more i have a sub moa rifle but no longer at a budget price. JMO

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I own two; a Bushmaster and a S&W Sport I. I bought my BM around 2009 I think, and it's been ultra reliable. I bought the Sport I last year to have as a back up when I go to training, etc. S&W has since come out with the Sport II.

Colt, Bushmaster, Ruger, S&W, etc. Many, many manufacturers out there now.

I would say, grab a S&W Sport II.......they are decently priced, very reliable. I have not heard anything bad about them. I think they go for something like $650 or so.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA
I own two; a Bushmaster and a S&W Sport I. I bought my BM around 2009 I think, and it's been ultra reliable. I bought the Sport I last year to have as a back up when I go to training, etc. S&W has since come out with the Sport II.

Colt, Bushmaster, Ruger, S&W, etc. Many, many manufacturers out there now.

I would say, grab a S&W Sport II.......they are decently priced, very reliable. I have not heard anything bad about them. I think they go for something like $650 or so.
Steve, like the guys above I'll be getting my first black gun in the next few weeks. I looked hard at the M&P Sport II, but had decided on the Bushmaster QRC that comes with the red dot scope. A big part of my decision was great reviews on the M&P Sport II, but mentioning the front site being in the way completely if an optic was ever to be added. It also said it's pretty difficult to get that front site removed if one needed to.

Any input on that?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Most people just get a co witness or absolute mount if you have an A2 FSB. It's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't make my decision based on that...no matter how much/little you know about the AR15.

Tough to beat the SW MP II.

I would start off with buying exactly what you want from the start, or you will end up spending a lot more down the road to get your rifle how you want it.

You really do want to place your order now, as anything semi auto rifle is going to be OOS very soon due to the upcoming election.

I personally would recommend building it yourself as you learn the ins and outs of the AR15 and you get exactly what you want.

I'm in the process of putting together an AR15 for my friend's boss.

I will highly recommend spending most of your funds on the barrel as it is probably the most important item if precision is your #1 goal.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I run an Aimpoint PRO on my Bushmaster and have no issues with the front sight. Front sight is a non-issue.

My son and I shooting my AR with the PRO and my son shooting his AR with an Eotech.

Steve
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:23 AM

Steve, did you mean you run an optic on your M&P Sport II or on your Bushmaster? The issue I heard about was with the M&P Sport II.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There would be no difference between running an optic on either a Bushmaster or M&P Sport.

Steve
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot2kills
A big part of my decision was great reviews on the M&P Sport II, but mentioning the front site being in the way completely if an optic was ever to be added. It also said it's pretty difficult to get that front site removed if one needed to.

Any input on that?
The person who made that statement never handled an AR with an optic.

Right now I think the S&W is the best value for the money.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks Steve and Dog. I was really leaning towards the M&P Sport II to begin with, but then I read that review and it turned me off since I planned on putting an optic on. It was actually a Field and Stream review on budget/starter AR's that mentioned the issue.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/g...p;dom=fb#page-5 (I hope the link is allowed for reference)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page