Anyone buying - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anyone buying

Anyone buying extra mags, lowers or parts? I already have a pretty good amount ratholed away, but if I see a deal I will snag it. I think with the recent radical Islamist terror attack and the election coming up things might get a little tight. I did order some Glock19 Pmags off a company by the name of Mag Commander for 12 bucks and change apiece. They shipped quick and the ship rate was not bad. I ordered 20 and I think the shipping was $8.99.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone buying

Early bird gets the worm. I don't know how many "deals" you will see with this latest shooting. I do see online vendors raising prices...nothing too significant right now, but increases in general.

Most are buying firearms, when the reality is they should be buying mags and ammo. You can have tons of firearms, but if you don't have mags and ammo to feed the firearm, you just have an expensive baseball bat.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

After the Newtown price hike ended, PSA had a sale on bare lowers for $50 with free shipping. I bought a bunch of them to stick in the safe for a rainy day. I've built 3 of them out so far. I look at it more as an investment than anything. I've done dumber things with money haha and this way, when my son is older, he can have a couple of his own M4's.

I'm well stocked on mags, how many mags do you need? 10? 20? I dunno, I try and have at least 3 for each gun, sometimes that can get costly.

I reload so I try and stock up on primers and powder the most of anything.

If you aren't buying what you want in the future now, I think you're doing yourself a great disservice. 1. It might not be available. 2. It will probably be way more expensive.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would say a guy should have a minimum of 10 mags per rifle and 5 per pistol. Mags Don't last forever and a guy can never have too many.

I with you on stocking up on components and ammo.

I just ordered a few 80% lowers from 80 Percent Arms. I have been wanting to give this a go and with their EZ jig it looks pretty easy. I got the raw billet and will Duracoat them. I always wanted a purple race gun.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

You should have looked at Modulus Arms as they have the best jig that works with everything. I know they just had a sale for Memorial Day for the jig and their 80% lowers.
http://www.modulusarms.com/

I was considering getting into the 80%, but the mere cost to set up with tools and jigs, it wasn't worth it to me when I can buy stripped lowers for less and no papertrail.

I'd also recommend not doing Duracoat as it's a crap product...not to mention you can buy it cheaper from Sherwin Williams.

Get a good thermal cured finish such as KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin or Cerakote. They are much more durable as you must bake the finish.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just bought a bushmaster stripped lower for $80 from Sarco in Easton, thinkin of getting another
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Aubie,

How can a stripped lower be no trail, unless bought privately?

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515
You should have looked at Modulus Arms as they have the best jig that works with everything. I know they just had a sale for Memorial Day for the jig and their 80% lowers.
http://www.modulusarms.com/

I was considering getting into the 80%, but the mere cost to set up with tools and jigs, it wasn't worth it to me when I can buy stripped lowers for less and no papertrail.

I'd also recommend not doing Duracoat as it's a crap product...not to mention you can buy it cheaper from Sherwin Williams.

Get a good thermal cured finish such as KG Gunkote aka Norrell's Moly Resin or Cerakote. They are much more durable as you must bake the finish.
I will check out their jig, thanks. Are you saying it's the best because of what you have read? I ask this because you said you never got into the 80% thing.

Also, I know that Duracoat is not the best coating, but it does work well for what it is. I have done a few firearms with Duracoat and in my opinion they have held up well, especially a 1022 that was done at least 30k rounds ago.

If I ever get my workshop completed I will have a oven for baking finishes. Not using the oven in the the kitchen...that's for pies and bread. lol.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use our oven all the time. I've been thinking about building a bake oven, so I can fit a barrel action. For now, I must bake the barrel separate from the action/receiver.

It's the consensus on ARF that the Modulus Arms jig is the best because you can use any 80% lower. The problem with 80% lowers is that there isn't a spec, so ever 80% lower can vary. I've even seen people use 80% polymer lowers on the Modulus Arms jig. Modulus also uses steel, so it will last much longer. I'm talking about their universal jig.

I also like that you can use a router instead of a drill press as the router is much faster to complete. If you are doing multiples, I'd recommend doing them same steps at a time to speed up the process.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If anyone is looking for 80% lowers check out www. daytona tatical.com. T hey even have lazer engraved ones.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page