AR New Coat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

AR New Coat

I have a chance to pick up a DPMS cheap because it had been "in the garage" painted camo. A couple of questions for you builders...

1. What is the cost to hydro dip?
2. What is the cost to get it redone, like melonite or another black finish?
3. Will stove paint, baked after coating, hold up sufficiently for a weekend plinker gun?

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: AR New Coat

if your comfortable breaking down an M4 to individual parts, I would think that you could cerakote or duracoat it yourself.

What did they use to paint it? If they just spray bombed it you could probably just use some cleaner and get it off of there.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

break the gun down, clean the paint off with lacquer thinner, buy a cerakote kit and do it yourself. To get the upper, lower and handguard/rail done would be in the $200 range to start. If they have to strip it, or if you want multiple colors or camo patterns it will be considerably more. Pretty dont make it shoot better. Do NOT cerakote the inside mag well or inside the upper or lower, you will have problems.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your DPMS has plastic handguards, you DO NOT want to use a thermal finish and bake the plastic. You will ruin the handguards.

Thermal cured finishes are much better than Duracoat, which is a Sherwin Williams product. You are better off using Aervoe paint compared to Duracoat.

Cerakote is very tough, but it's not inexpensive if you pay someone to apply it. I have a number of my firearms Cerakoted.

I've personally applied Norrell's Moly Resin aka KG Gunkote on most of my firearms. It holds up well, but it's not as durable as Cerakote.

If you DIY, the key is prepping the firearm. You want to make sure that you remove all traces of oil from the firearm.

If your DPMS is that cheap...I'm guessing under $600...I wouldn't spend another $200+ to have it Cerakoted as that is 1/3 the cost of your rifle.

Dipping is not very durable, but they offer some neat patterns.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Aubie,

Lol, I was talking lower, upper and barrel. I wouldn't put a handguard, grip or any other plastic part in the oven.

Anyway, His wife found a buyer while he was out on the road.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page