9mm Subguns... Any experience? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

9mm Subguns... Any experience?

I think the next gun I'm going to buy is going to be a 9mm subgun. One of the few times I ever actually got rid of a gun was I traded an old cheapie revolver I found in a box lot I purchased at an auction for a non functional Hi-point carbine. Apparently the guy didn't know they had lifetime warranties so off to the factory it went and it works flawlessly. I really like shooting it so it made me want a 9mm subgun.

I've looked at but not shot the CZ scorpion and the Sig MPX. I haven't gotten to handle a POF MP5 clone yet but I've watched some youtube reviews and they look like fun little guns.

Has anyone ever shot a Steyr SSP or the B&T?

Any suggestions/experience? I don't want a 9mm AR because I already have ARs in other calibers. I also would like something that I could SBR in the future. Thanks.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Re: 9mm Subguns... Any experience?

I have used the HK MP5 and COLT SMG on duty. Hands down the HK is the winner. Only drawback is the bolt doesn't lock to the rear when you run empty. The Colt, AR Platform of course, is also a great shooter, but you drop a mag and your playing 33 round pickup. I have shot the MPX and Scorp. LOVE THEM BOTH, but the MPX is the winner. couple thousand rounds and it ran and ran...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:12 AM

I just finishing building an AR colt platform short barreled rifle (4.5" barrel with KAK flash can) in 9mm. It is quickly becoming my favorite gun. I Decided to stick with the AR platform due to it's familiarity. I really thought about going with a glock magazine lower but the last round hold open is still not 100% reliable with that platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 11:57 PM
The Man

I have the CZ Scorpion - I've added the stock kit to it and turned it into an ATF approved SBR. Next step is to suppress it. I'm very happy with the gun. Fun to shoot.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock3540
I just finishing building an AR colt platform short barreled rifle (4.5" barrel with KAK flash can) in 9mm. It is quickly becoming my favorite gun. I Decided to stick with the AR platform due to it's familiarity. I really thought about going with a glock magazine lower but the last round hold open is still not 100% reliable with that platform.
Don't they all need that mag well adapter? If not what kind of kit did you build?

I'm kind of leaning towards the scorpion based on price point alone. Most MPX's and MP5 clones I've seen are about double what the scorpion is. And after SBR and optics and whatever your're easily looking at 2k which I can't justify to myself for something that serves no other purpose than fun haha.

I think with the scorpion it would be just a little over 1k which is about my fun money limit for myself.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 PM

I used a mag block in my build but you can buy 9mm dedicated lowers for either colt or glock magazines (smaller magwell with no block needed). New Frontier Armory, Quarter Circle 10 and Spartan are a few companies that make dedicated lowers. I figured I would go the route I did because if I ever get bored with the 9mm, I can use that registered reciever for another caliber. With a dedicated registered 9mm, you are stuck with 9mm.

I'll probably end up with a glock mag lower in the future because I have numerous 9mm mags for my glock 34 and I bought several glock 33 round mags and 2, 50 round drums before I decided to go the colt route
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Go to agree with Pahack. I have owned the MP5, Colt M-16 with a 223 upper and a Colt 9mm upper, a Vector Uzi and a Vector Mini Uzi. By far the MP5 was the easiest to control. The Colt uses a heavier bolt and has more recoil and bolt bounce. The Uzi's both Mini and full size fire from an open bolt and are not as smooth as a close bolt machine gun. I wish I still owned any one of my machine guns (sold them all) . I have a Sig MPX. It is a fine semi-auto but it is a far cry from a H&K full auto MP5. Doc in Pa.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page