Gas block replacement - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Gas block replacement

Hey guys, I have a Ruger AR556. I absolutely love the gun. I am considering ditching the front A2 sight/ gas block for picatinny style gas block so I can install a flip up front sight and a scope. Anyone have opinions on brands? There are thousands of options. Its become a bit overwhelming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Gas block replacement

Troy, YHM, Midwest Industries, Precision Reflex, ARMS and others all make what you are looking for. If I was going pic rail gas block only, I would go with the Precision Reflex. If I was going to roll with one that already has a flip up sight it would be Midwest Ind.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A question one step further. If I remove my A2 sight/gas block, and go with one of the above, can I reinstall it at a later date?

Never took one off, so I don't know if the gas tube just slides in, or is crimped or fastened in.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's held in place by a roll pin.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks Rob. Any idea what size I need? .750?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt9bil
Thanks Rob. Any idea what size I need? .750?
I'm pretty sure the dia for the has block is .750. I would check with Ruger to make sure.

What is you goal with the rifle? In my opinion the number one thing you can do to a AR for accuracy is swap the hand guards out for a free float type. If you are going to add a scope you might as well make the rifle as accurate as possible. Depending on the power range of the scope the A2 front sight might not even be a problem.

What you will be doing is swapping out a gas block that is pinned in place for one that is held by set screws and thread locker. To do this correctly you should dimple (drill) the barrel where the set screws go.

Personally, I would cut the front sight off with a dremmel leaving the lower part that holds the gas tube (a little file work required). Now you have a rock solid low profile gas block. I would then add a 12" free float hand guard. Then you can add your scope and BUIS of your choosing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That might be the way to go then. I basically want to run a scope or red dot and use flip up sights as backups. Originally, I wasn't considering the free float handguard b/c I doubt I'll ever shoot past 100yds. So high accuracy wasn't a concern. But I think in the long run, trimming the front sight and changing the handguard might be the way to go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check out KAK industries. They have some of the best prices going on parts. I just bought their low profile gas block for a 300blk build. I'll get another soon when I get rid of of my mil spec front sight in order to add a free float handguard.

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page