New AR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

New AR

I'm very well versed on hunting and handguns but admittedly know very little about Ar's and I'm interested in getting one so I'm gathering info.....Here's what I think I want accuracy is always important but I don't need a competition gun reliability is my main concern I want this gun for range and home protection work....I know I want a light and backup iron sights any other accessories???...For my main sight red dot or scope??? Do I want a vertical grip???? What brands or models do you guys recommend for what I need ???

Thanks
L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New AR

If you are not assembling it from parts I would stick with a good manufacture.
Daniel Defense, Bravo Company MFG, Colt and other make great rifles.

I would think a 16" free floated govt profile barrel would be about ideal for target and home defense. As for red dots I would stick with Aim Point, Trijicon and Eotech for (holographic). If going with a scope stick with a low power variable (1-4 1-6 range). As for a light I would stick with lights that are made for being mounted on a firearm. Surefire and Streamlight set the bar when it comes to illuminating you target. A good set of BUIS are a must in my opinion. Just stick with a known quality mfg like Troy, BCM, Midwest Industries ect. Vertical grips are a personal thing, some guys love, some guys hate them.

What's great is the AR can always be a work in progress. You mention you would like to use it for target. Shooting to a rifles full potential you will need a good trigger. Most AR's come with a gritty heavy "milspec trigger" that is not known for precision shooting. The good thing is it can be swapped out in a matter of minutes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since picking up my first one, the one recommendation I have is buy a flat top. It allows so much more in options for front & rear sights, plus optics.

I got a Del-Ton 316M at an LGS, at a really good sale price. It came with a flip up rear sight, but an A2 fixed front sight/gas block. And although the optics I got for it still work, having the fixed sight in the view isn't preferred!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys .....This may be a dumb question but since they are all so interchangeable do they all break down the exact same way?? Also Gas vs Piston???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I keep thinking or more questions I am by no means a gunsmith but I am good with mechanical things should building a gun even be a consideration or is it not worth the hassle??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you buy a Milspec one they should be interchangeable. Milspec is Milspec. I would buy a Milspec personally. They are very reliable.

Gas pistons are different than normal Gas ones, but in the breakdown of cleaning and stuff, they break down the same. You have an upper and inside of the upper is the bolt, which is in the Bolt carrier group, and the charging handle.

I've built lots of AR's its not hard. I recommend watching the MidwayUSA lower and upper videos on youtube. They are a good resource and Larry Potterfield doesnt spend tons of time talking about stuff you dont care about like on other videos.

If you don't want to assemble an upper, you could still buy a lower and parts kit and assemble that and then just put the upper on it. With no experience, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to assemble a lower.

Palmetto State Armory is the cheapest around for kits I believe. Although in the past 2 weeks they're prices have jumped a bit I would imagine due to the executive actions. They're lowers went from $49 to $69 overnight.

If you want it for home defense get a red dot, a scope is too much for what a max shot inside a building would be like 25-30 feet?

If you want a light I would recommend a vertical grip, just because its a convenient place to put a switch for the light on. I love vertical grips on my AR's but thats just from my time in the Army.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

I got the Colt LE6920MPS-B over the summer. I love it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 AM

Just do your homework like you are....

You can spend like $800 or less on a gun....or several thousand...

I know after getting my 14.5" BCM upper it was a game changer...the keymod is awesome..the light weight is awesome..the lack of recoil and muzzle rise is amazing...

Very well built...but the upper cost more than many complete guns do....

Optics...lights...etc etc is limited by the sky..or your wallet...

If your looking at accessories I'd recommend some sort of decent rail system...I absolutely despise quad rails...

And a flat top reciever...idk if they even make a fixed handle upper anymore....

For home defense there is no way I'd run a scope. A love my Aimpoint. Probably going to try a trijcon MRO soon.

Back up irons...I went with the new(er) magpul metal ones..forget what they call em off the top of my head..maybe pro?

The sky and your wallet is the only limits in the AR world...

Also do your pricing homework...for me I found it was best to buy the complete upper and lower. But...they make the upper and lower I want..if you wanted something different you'd have to build it...

Working on ARs and building them is fairly easy...

Makers etc...if you stay from bottom line stuff you shouldn't have issues...

You mention competition reliability...that IMO jumps you into the higher end stuff. If you run competitions and shoot classes regularly a lower end rifle isn't going to make you happy...ask the guys that do it..they know what works...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page