Thoughts? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts?

OK I'm getting close to making the plunge and buying my next rifle...

I wanted an SBR..then read about issues going below 11.5".

I can run a fixed muzzle device on a 14.5" barrel and in the end my barrel is 4.5" longer than an SBR that I'd wait 6 months for and pay an extra $200...

I don't know that it's actually worth it...4.5"...

If it is..I can always file for the tax stamp and order the upper I want for the SBR...

Any thoughts on bolt carrier groups??

For $95 I can get the BCM BCG AND charging handle...that's a no brainer...

Do I run the BCM bolt carrier group? Keep it as a spare? Sell it?

Been reading and seems a chrome or a Nickle boron coated one is "best".

Or I decline the BCG and chatting handle (I already have a charging handle..)

Short of that...I think all my decisons are made...

Well...eotech or aimpoint...and what BUIS to go with...lol. But gun wise its gunna be BCM upper/lowers with KMR rail and geissele trigger...BCM gun fighter grip and stock and muzzle device...and BCM ambi charging handle..

Gotta decide on the bolt carrier group...and SBR or 14.5"..

Rifles purpose will be patrol style rifle..light weight ready for anything and everything. I may not even put optics or a light on it....to each his own but that crap gets to messing up a perfectly fine piece of equipment... I want it to stand up to anything and run when most guns fail...

Any thoughts/input etc I am all ears..

The aimpoint/eotech thing kills me...I love the eotechs minus the battery life....I love being able to leave my aimpoint on...but I know I'm quicker with the eotech...larger " screen" and the reticle grabs my eye quicker and I can throw that circle on a sillohete quick...

Gotta figure the rifle out first...I wanna have it soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Thoughts?

I have both NIB and regular BCG's ,and the NIB does clean up easier. I really don't think it is any more reliable than a phosphate, I still run it rather wet. I have 2 14.5" carbines one has a brake and the other a flash hider. The brake is much louder than the flash hider, something to consider.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 AM

Other than easier to clean, I see no real advantage to nib or chrome. I run bcm bolts in several of my ar's. If you order a bcm upper and can get their bolt and charge handle for $95, go for it. If you decide you don't want it, I would buy it from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You say you can't decide between what optic to go with. I would pick the one that I could simply shoot accurate and fast. I would not let the Eotech battery life weigh in on the decision. Both sights are very reliable and built battle tough. Both are used by the best fighters we have.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys!!!

I really don't see the added cost of the BCG...atleast not initially... Maybe down the road as I want a back up...maybe..I don't typically shoot a ton...but I shoot frequently..

Barrel length I'm gunna go with the 14.5 with a pinned BCM muzzle device...if I wanna go shorter I will...but the 14.5" middy is supposed to be THE rifle...soft recoil and fast shooting...

Optics...I know I can't go wrong...I like being able to leave my aimpoint on though...eotech I just can't do that...I shot eotechs for a while...then went to the aimpoint...i really have no issue shooting either one...heck..for my use I thought about no optic and a Troy trijicon iron set..

That brings up my next thoughts....BUIS...I know who is top of the line...and I just cannot fathom paying $175+ for sights that I know will almost never be used...but I won't run a rifle without them lol....

Thoughts there? The magpul pros look nice and small and supposedly well made...I'm not a fan of them not locking in place...but other than that they seem nice and priced slightly better...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you are talking about the Magpul sights that are made of plastic, I personally would not own them. A good set of BUIS will run 175-200. I can't see why they would not get used. If they are going to be on the rifle you should practice with them. The return to zero mounts that are made for the red dots and holo sights make it easy to switcharoo.

I can see having a spare bolt and field gauge, but a whole BCG is not needed in my opinion.

If you are considering going the iron sight route I would look no further than the Daniel Defense fixed irons. I have even used them in conjunction with a Eotech, with and without riser. Rock solid and built like a tank.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I phrased that poorly....the irons would get used..like you said for training....I know if my life or someone elses depends on those sights I will be glad I had good ones...

The magpul Pros are new(er)...they are metal and they seem well made me carry a small profile and take up little room..

I agree I wouldn't own the plastic ones...but..there have been unofficial tests done and they seem to survive better than Troys and other higher end metal sights...I still don't like the looks and size of them and they are plastic...It just seems like that is the wrong material to use...lol

I will probably just get the BCM BCG and charging handle...that's a steal at $95 or whatever extra it is with the upper...

I have looked into building this rifle from scratch and its cost most...and to buy it whole it'd still be more expensive plus not with the trigger...by putting an upper and lower together I save big lol...the BCM stock is an extra $15...the BCG and ambi charging handle is $95. The geisele trigger is a decent bit under retail when bought as part of the lower lol...weird...

Gotta stop by the shop one day and get the ffl info for the lower...and get the sights and optic ordered...then next time the upper is in stock get it ordered....that's the hardest part with the BCM is its about once a month or so they are stocked and it isn't long time they are gone...

I still wonder about the DD MK18 SBR...lol. I don't like the rail...i could live with the trigger but I love a good trigger...I love my BCM charging handle..etc etc...I might end up with a 10.3" barrel for the BCM I'm about to get down the road..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

One step closer!

Got my Aimpoint pro today...I couldn't pass up the price...if I don't like it we'll cross that bridge...but I think I should have bought 2 lol..

Still waiting on the upper to come back in stock...

Of course the 11.5" is and has been in stock...its tempting...I'm gun a wait on the 14.5" though...

Going with a 10" handguard so if I wanna goto the 11.5" barrel I can. And it cuts weight...this rifle is gunna be light..I wanted a Micro for it...but the Pro will do for now..
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Gotta say...I like the mount that came with it...co-witness opposed to my Larue that is bottom 1/3rd.

I'm gunna test its repeatability...if it holds its zero I am gunna keep it...I can't see any reason to spend the money on a new mount..

Am in a pickle about the upper...they don't make a 14.5" middy with CHF enhanced light weight fluted barrel...in the end I either go with a standard barrel or give up one of the "features". The enhanced light weight is a tapered barrel more like a regular barrel..supposed to balance better than normal profile and have an accuracy edge...fluted I can do without if I must..its 5oz or something..

Won't be an issue no matter what..pretty much gunna see what comes in stock first with the 10" KMR. That's the other thing..a 13" KMR has the setup I was I think..but that's 3" of handguard and weight I don't need...and say I wanna take the barrel off and goto the 11.5" I won't need a new handguard...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 AM

I think you will like the PRO. I put one on my 11.5" SBR about 3 years ago. Turned it on medium setting on day one and it is still glowing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page