DD or BCM??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

DD or BCM???

So....getting to the point of ready to start planning my SBR...

I was set on a DD...then set on a BCM...

I think my cheapest route is going to be buying and upper and lower...

BCM has the upper I like...11.5" lightweight with 9" kmr..ambi gun fighter charging handle and mod 0 gun fighter muzzle device..comes to like $830 or something...

I like the DD buttstock...I want a geislee trigger...found a place I can get a BCM lower with the trigger and all I'd need is the stock for $570...

Or I can buy a 10.3" DD MK18 which I like...and would probably be happy with...for probably a hair cheaper and I wouldn't have to engrave it or anything as its a factory SBR..can always swap the trigger...

Both barrels are cold hammer forged..

In don't know about bolt assemblies in either one...to me that's a bit of a concern...to me a lot of guys overlook the bolt assembly..

I think its honestly a toss up...they are both top end AR makers...

Any swaying concerns/thoughts/opinions etc???

I just don't know...

Looking to keep it light and battle ready...BUIS, probably an aimpoint micro, maybe a surefire 300 or another small light...biggest thing is she gotta run...I pull the trigger and it just has to work...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: DD or BCM???

Flip a coin, both are good companies. What I like about DD is that they are a actual manufacture. They manufacture a good part of the rifle in house. DD rails and barrels are some of the best made. I really don't know if BCM actually manufactures any of their own parts. What I have read/heard is that they have parts made to their exact standards, which is fine also. As for upper and lower receiver, its a pretty good bet that both companies use one of these companies, LAR, CMT, LMT and a couple others. BCGS are another product that is made by a few companies. Just make sure it's FA, MPI, HP, 158 or 9310 bolt, ect.

Your SBR sounds like a fun project. The only thing I would change is the stock. I just don't like stocks that have large openings. Just seem like they could get caught on stuff. If it were mine I would be looking at the MFT Battlelink Minimalist, light, tough and cheap.

I have a Geissele-SSA-E and it is a fine trigger. On a SBR I bet the S3G or SD3G would be a hoot. With that short reset, 30 rounders would empty pretty quick. Post pics when you get her together.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:39 PM
The Man

RobOz has posted good info. The heritage of some of the parts available can get really confusing. You want the best parts for the best price. I think the bottom line is that if you buy from either DD or BCM you get quality parts.

I just shot an AR that a club member had put together. He did not buy the most expensive upper, lower or other parts but he did use the Geissele trigger and a White Oak barrel. That trigger was fantastic and the rifle shot tight groups.

I have a rifle that needs a good trigger to wring out the best accuracy. If I ever have the spare $ I'll buy the Geissele.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys....through digging that's what I came down too as well....and I know their are only a few companies that make their own parts....

I'm not set on the DD stock...and your right..the opening leaves something for an object to snag or someone to potentially grab to take the rifle from you...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:12 AM
The Man

I'd go for the BCM and probably save some coin, that would allow you to grab that Aimpoint and light. I've owned both in a previous life, and have a Colt now. They were/are all great guns.

I'm working a SBR project now but my base is a CZ Scorpion 9mm. Should be a handy little carbine.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

I can find the DD for around $1400..I've seen them as low as 1200-1300...didn't have the cash when I seen that...that's the mk18 10.3" SBR...

The BCMs seem to run $1400+. I dont want a fixed front sight...for whatever reason that raises the price it seems lol...

I need to start pricing... Just from browsing I don't think I can win buy building it...the BCM looks like buying the upper and lower separately is best where the DD is best to buy the rifle...kinda odd..

From my reading if I stay with DD, BCM, LMT, Noveske etc I will have a rifle that'll be up to its purpose...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:50 AM

I have an 11.5" BCM with a BCM bolt and have had zero issues. Before you make a decision, do some research on the ballistics of 5.56 through a 11.5 " and 10.3" barrel. There is a pretty big difference. Also, an 11.5 is a little more friendly on a suppressor should you go down that road in the future. I have a 10" SBR in 300 blackout with a rail that goes to the end of the barrel. I have to be very careful where I put my hand when shooting it without my suppressor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Or I can buy a 10.3" DD MK18 which I like...and would probably be happy with...for probably a hair cheaper and I wouldn't have to engrave it or anything as its a factory SBR..can always swap the trigger...
I'd go with this, personally.
The "no need to engrave" is a plus for me & what I did as well.
It's like any other AR15, everything can be changed. The only thing that matters
is how the "stripped lower" is registered... allowing you to now put any upper you want on it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mine has an 11.5" barrel, but eventually I will get an AAC 300BLK short barrel upper for it as well... if you want to suppress it, that's the way to go IMO.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm not really concerned about ballistics honestly...I shoot SPs so fragmentation of FMJ isn't a factor..a good SP is still going to do its job...and the gun isn't being built for distance...its being built for CQB..a 5.56 round inside a normal house or building or a fire fight on the street is going to be under 100yds...98% of the time under 50...I can't see a ballistic advantage.. Though I could be wrong? I've done a little reading and the only concern was FMJ guys and fragmentation...

What is the factory DD trigger like??? Anyone know?? Standard AR trigger??

The trigger and rail are my holdups....and charging handle..(I want the BCM ambi). I like the BCM KMR handguard..slimmer..dont have to buy rail covers..and I want a nice trigger...unneeded I'm sure...I've never had an issue with a standard trigger and not looking for shooting gnat legs off gnats at 500yds..

Engraving isn't a HUGE deal...the lower will never leave me...

Decisions decisions....made my final truck payment...after its inspected next week I'm gunna have to start making such decisions lol...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page