AR-15 problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

AR-15 problem

I took my new Core-15 AR out and was using some cheaper ammo. Brass cased ammo from stand1 Armory. First three rounds were good then a jam. Bolt wouldn't close. Cleared and tried to cycle another shell but again it wouldn't close. Cleared everything and opened it up and I could see part of the brass case in the chamber. Found the empty casing, it was about the length of a 9mm round. Torn in half. The other half is now jammed in the chamber due to the following round and the second time I tried to chamber a round.
Any ideas on how to get the remaining brass out of the chamber? Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Born to hunt, forced to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: AR-15 problem

A broken shell extractor can save a guy a lot of headaches in some cases. Try taking the upper off and BCG out, then try to pick it out with something like a dental pick. I would also flush it first with Gunscrubber and Kroil.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

It was remanufactured ammo. I don't see how a brand new case would just tear like that unless it was a QC problem...

Maybe you got a shell that had been sized and shot one to many times.

If it would have been a pressure issue you probably would have blown up your gun. Did the shell show signs of gas cutting in any place? Or was it torn all jagged all the way around?

I'm with RobOz, put some kind of penetrating lubricant and try to pry it out without scratching or doing any damage to your chamber.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM

Some manufactures warranties become void if you use remanufactured ammo in their guns. Glock is one.

take it to a gunsmith and get it done right.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Part of the Community

One time when I was shooting at Camp Perry Ohio the guy beside me had the same situation. The Marine amour took a cleaning rod with a 45 cal brush on it and stuffed it into the chamber and up into the barrel then pulled it out with the case .

NRA Life member
Mid-Range match director: Reade Range
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSandBinc
One time when I was shooting at Camp Perry Ohio the guy beside me had the same situation. The Marine amour took a cleaning rod with a 45 cal brush on it and stuffed it into the chamber and up into the barrel then pulled it out with the case .
I use the brass brush. If you push it in from the chamber you just want to clear the case mouth and then pull it back out. I'd use a.270 or .30 cal brush.

Since it is a new gun I would be concerned about the headspace. Did you build it? Do you know anyone with headspace gages?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I bought the gun used. The other guy said he had a few jams with Tula ammo but no problems with other ammo. The ammo I tried is cheap remanufactured ammo so that might be part of the problem. I'm going to try to get it out tonight. Then possibly try a few more rounds to see if the problem persists.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:06 AM

I know that some Wolf ammo has a coating on it to prevent the steel case from rusting, maybe Tula does too.

the problem is if your gun gets hot enough, the coating starts to soften an get sticky. this will build up in your chamber and cause your gun to jam and it hard to get clean.

since the previous owner had some problems with Tula ammo maybe that is what happened to him and now you have a gun with a sticky chamber.

it could also be the neck sealant on the steel cased ammo too (at least according to the folks at ar-15.com)

see if this is the problem.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I turned 18 the first thing I did was I bought my first rifle by myself, a Yugo SKS at Dunhams for $89.95. I ran tons of Wolf 7.62x39 through it (at $1.50 a box why not?) and an SKS is like an AK, never needs cleaned right? Wrong.... haha

After the first couple hundred rounds it turned into a single shot, would never eject the shell. A guy I worked with had a part time gun shop and he told me that wolf had laquer coated their shells to make them rust proof and that would burn off and build up in the chamber.

When you do get the shell out get a AR chamber brush and go to town. When I did it I had shavings coming out of my SKS haha.

More importantly, were you able to get it out???

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Tried the cleaning rod with various tips. No good. hit it with gunscrubber and tried again...nope. Probably going to try to find a gunsmith next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page