Want to swap barrels on my RRA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Want to swap barrels on my RRA

I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 which looks most similar to this stock model: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=632

I bought it at the height of the gun grab a couple years ago because I wanted one and was scared they were going to be outlawed. So I paid way more than I could ever hope to get out of it and it's not exactly what I want.

What I'm wanting to do is replace the stock "assault" style barrel (excuse me if I'm using the incorrect lingo, I'm honestly not as knowledgeable about this stuff as I'd like to be), with a bull barrel. Like one of these: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=275

I know nothing about how to go about doing this. From the videos I've watched I know I need a special wrench for the barrel nut. I'm guessing I'll need a different for-end to accommodate the larger barrel diameter and that's about it.

Any advice would be appreciated and if someone is looking for a barrel like what I have and / or has one like I want, let me know.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM

Re: Want to swap barrels on my RRA

Instead of a barrel. why not a dedicated upper? You get the best of both worlds with the pull of 2 pins. Just throwing it out there.

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Samuels idea is the same as mine...

Depending on what barrel you want you could be looking at swapping gas systems too for the best/proper performance...

Where as a new upper will come ready to go..and you can keep or sell your current upper...

That's one thing g about the AR platform...you can go from a 20" bull barrel and high power scope to a 10.3" short barrel...to a crossbow..to different calibers etc etc with the pull of 2 pins...

The barrel swap is possible...but if going from a carbine barrel and gas system to a 20" rifle barrel and gas system you're likely best buying a new upper IMO...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
The Man

I agree with the other guys. I'd call Rock River and ask them what they have available. You only need an upper with a barrel. You already have the BCG.

I built a lower and I purchased a RRA upper for varmint hunting. I forget which model. Either a Predator or Varminter. It shoots tight. RRA makes quality arms.

The cost will not be much more than just purchasing a quality barrel and you still have the option to switch back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Makes sense. I was looking to go the cheapest route but hopefully I can do a fairly even trade.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
The Man

There are exceptions but usually accuracy is not cheap.

Good barrels, floating forearms and good sights cost money and in the end you get what you pay for.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 AM

I'd also point out...don't limit yourself to RRA..not saying they are good or bad...but any upper will work...there's countless uppers on the market...can figure out the barrel length and profile you want and start your search from there...can then find complete uppers or partially built uppers etc...

They sky is the limit...

And like I said...you can keep your upper as a 2nd upper...or sell it...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Regular Visitor

I will add another vote for swapping the upper. Just buy a new complete upper and attach it. Swapping a barrel is very easy, but to do it right requires a minimal investment in tools(barrel nut wrench, torque wrench, upper receiver vice block) and if you are just going to do it once it probably isn't worth the investment in tools. Depending on what you end up with for a barrel and forend, you may need to do additional work such as dimpling the barrel for a set screw low profile gas block etc...

As for your upper, what kind of shooting and accuracy are you looking to achieve? A bull barrel isn't the only option for accuracy, and in my opinion is less important than buying a better barrel. For example, a Del-ton bull barrel probably wont be as accurate as a lighter Wilson Combat match barrel in .223 Wylde.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Regular Visitor

If you change the barrel you will need a barrel nut, gas block, barrel with matching bolt and rail assembly. Depending on the barrel manufacturer and the rail it may be better to look for a good complete upper on sale. Harmonics affect barrel accuracy. Barrel quality differs with different manufactures but a heavier barrel has less harmonic vibration which contributes to accuracy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page