Absolute co-witness or lower third? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Absolute co-witness or lower third?

I picked up a Eotech for my flat top DPMS M4. I think I am going to go with a Yankee Hill Machine Eotech riser. It raises the Eotech .30 inches and places the irons in the lower 1/3 of the sight window. The way I see it, I can flip down the rear sight and all that will be in my sight window is the front post in the lower third. Pop my rear sight back up and my irons can still be shot through the sight window of the Eotech.

Thoughts?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Re: Co Witness or lower third?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 AM
Regular Visitor

I have no experience with cowitness on my firearms but from your images, lower 1/3 seems to be the most desireable. I feel like the absolute cowitness would become distracting with your focus fading in and out.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I myself like the absolute cowitness, lining up the sights the same way every time feels more natural.

Molon Labe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Go for the lower 1/3. I hate a complicated sight picture, especially when your shooting multiple targets. As long as you have a flip down rear sight you'll have that.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 AM

My next AR will not have a fixed front sight...fold down BUIS front and rear...and probably another aimpoint...

I have my colt setup with a folding rear BUIS and aimpoint with absolute cowitness on a LaRue mount...aimpoint goes down and I can flip up the rear sight and stay in the game..actually..I can stay in the game shooting off the front sight alone using the aimpoint as a giant aperture lol...the dot in my aimpoint lines up perfect with the top of my front sight post...

I've never looked into the lower 1/3rd deal...

It will throw off you POI slightly...both zeroed at 50yds and your optic will hit a bit higher at close range...

I've shot an aimpoint mounted to a fixed carry handle with a mount that allows you to shoot irons under the mount...at 7yds POI with the aimpoint was around 3" off...high off the top of my head...not sure what happens farther out...I'm guessing they'd go out of whack again...

Depends on what you want in the end....I don't mind the aimpoint on the colt...the red dot is right at the top of the post...I rather have it like that than have my optic sit high...I can't stand a high optic..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I never had an issue either way. When I had the Eotech on my AR, the sights were co-witnessed. Now that I have an Aimpoint PRO on my rifle, the sights are lower 1/3.

Steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Absolute co-witness or lower third?

Keep in mind the fact that back up sights are just that, back ups that are only for when your $500 optic fails or breaks. Unless your putting yourself in combat situations with your M4 or are using it in a competition, your back up sights really are just a measure for when everything goes wrong or to make your rifle look cool (and there isn't anything wrong with that, I have Magpul MBUS's on my .300blkout AR pistol just because I did it up in black and Magpul Tan stuff and it fills it out in my opinion and looks snazzy.)

Even in a home defense situation, unless you live in Buckingham Palace your're not going to be shooting more than what, 10-15 yards at the most? If you need sights to drop someone with a rifle at that distance your doing something wrong. Thats also why you have 30 rd mags....so you can walk your fire in haha j/k.

Don't doubt the ruggedness of your name brand optics either, ie. Trijicon, Eotech, C-more, and Aimpoint. I carried a Acog and an Aimpoint in Iraq and they were both covered in scars by the time I was done with them that you probably wouldnt offer more than $100 bucks on them to me, but they still worked and held zero like a champ. Just for fun I left my Aimpoint on mid-power all the time and using CR123 batteries that thing was on for like for 4 months until I changed the batteries out just because. I have a crappy $30 dollars red dot from Gander on my GSG5 and that thing burns through batteries like crazy in comparason.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 08:51 PM

Absolute IMO.

and I 2nd burningsoul's post about quality.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page