ar15 build - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

ar15 build

I am looking to build my first AR15. I see some places have the whole kit minus the lower. Would I be better off doing this for my first one or purchasing individual parts for the build. Interested in opinions and places that people have purchased parts and kits. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 AM

Re: ar15 build

If you are building a pretty basic model...probably can save money by building it...

If your building a higher end Like a BCM or something you probably are better off buying the upper and lower you want...

Prices of Colts and lower grade make whole rifles have dropped...prices of run of the mill parts have dropped...

Prices of higher end guns and parts have not..

But I've been looking...I can buy a BCM upper and lower and save a good $500 over buying the rifle...and it'd cost me a few hundred more to build it with the same parts...kinda odd lol...

Depends what you want...price it every way imaginable...whole rifle..upper/lower and build from parts...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"Model 1 sales" build it yourself.
I built 2 using them. It's fun and you learn a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have built two and as foxrunner said, you learn a lot by putting together your own rifle.
I cheated a bit though and bought completed uppers from Red-X arms. Bought the lower, a lower parts kit and the stock and buffer tube all from different places.
The guns went together great, they are accurate and they function flawlessly. Saved some money in the process, too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Part of the Community

Start checking Palmetto State Armory's website. They run a lot of daily deals on packages of various parts kits, uppers, rifle kits, etc.
I'm working on my third build up and sourced parts from them on all three of my AR-15s.

I like AIM Surplus also for uppers and parts kits.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I love Palmetto State Armory's deals on their blemished lower's and uppers. I have bought a couple and haven't found a blemish yet. Like mentioned above watch them for their holiday deals or when they have free shipping.

Molon Labe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

When putting together one of the kits, what are the absolute must have tools. I know there are a lot of tools out there to help with building an AR, but I would like not to spend a fortune just on the tools.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

For a lower all you need is a punch and a hammer...

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul
For a lower all you need is a punch and a hammer...
X2. I also would add some of that blue painters tape. I remember that I covered some areas so I would not scratch them during assembly. I also made (actually my dad did) made a jig (to put into the lower where the mag goes) instead of buying a plastic one.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Part of the Community

I don't think you can build something of the same quality for as little as you can buy it complete. I've put together a few, and helped a friend start his AR "manufacturing" company. But, even going with bottom end components like those from Model 1 or Palmetto, you still end up with more into it than just buying something from a middle of the road maker with a warranty like Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt Competition, or Armalite for just under $700.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?...amp;order=price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page