Ice fishing old & new gear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4x4dad
  • 1 Post By 4x4dad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Ice fishing old & new gear

Got a nice surprise the other day . My daughter took me up on an offer on going ice fishing . So I'm getting the old gear together tent , auger , sled and tackle . I then realized I included my old fish finder with an old boat I sold years ago . So under the recommendation of one of the members here ( can't find the post ) , I purchased a Garmin Stricker 4 . I've never used a Flasher so I'll probably stick to the standard mode till I get it figured out . I just finished making a portable box for the Garmin , so we should be set to go .
Now I'm just checking on the conditions at Lake Arthur . Years ago ( 20+ ) , Muddy Creek branch was the location of choice . Is that still a good recommendation ? In the past I've also had good luck up the Mt. Zion Church branch . Any advice on the operation of the ( new to me ) Garmin or fishing locations at Moraine are greatly appreciated . We'll probably make our first attempt Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week . Thanks for any advice in advance .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Well , we got out on the ice Tuesday afternoon up in the Muddy Creek branch . No one was doing very well . There was a solid 8 - 10 inches of ice . Shoreline was solid also . Gamin Stricker 4 worked excellent ! I could see my minnows at all depths in 9 ft. of water with the standard transducer . Split duel frequencies worked great . Flasher mode seems to work well , but I still need to learn what it's telling me . We didn't get any fish , but it was good just to be back out ice fishing again . Hopefully I'll have fish pictures to share next time we get out . Good luck to you all and be safe out there .
MQ-1 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:01 PM
The Man

My Son and I researched that same unit and ordered the bundle for each of us yesterday. My old Humminbird portable is over 30 years old so opted for new technology! lol
A lot of youtube videos about the Garmin to check out.

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I don't require a lot of performance from a fish finder , but I'm still amazed at what $120.00 can get today in the technology category . A GPS and a good finder all in one . Granted the screen is small , but still very readable . I'm very happy with the Garmin . It should also fit very nicely in my kayak and canoe . Best of luck with yours MQ 1.
MQ-1 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I purchased the portable Garmin Striker 4 to use on my kayak. It's a great kayak unit plus it is very good on the ice as well.

I also recommend getting the Noqua battery for it as well, it weighs less than 2 pounds and holds a charge all day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (2) Ice Fishing 1-20-18.jpg (652.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170301_180008.jpg (782.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Kayak 4.jpg (1.22 MB, 6 views)

The horizon is your starting point.

Last edited by trapperrick; 01-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Great looking set up Trapper . I just fixed up a lunch cooler for the Garmin & battery to make a portable ice fishing unit . When spring arrives , I hope to get my kayak fixed up like yours for some lake fishing . Is your transducer in a fixed position or do you float it beside the kayak ? I figured it would probably read better if in a fixed position . I'll have to hit Cabela's for some type of flexible extension for the transducer .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad View Post
Is your transducer in a fixed position or do you float it beside the kayak ? I figured it would probably read better if in a fixed position . I'll have to hit Cabela's for some type of flexible extension for the transducer .
The Garmin portable unit came with a suction cup mount for the transducer. I used that for several outings but the suction cup kept popping off. I was looking into the Ram transducer mount for kayak but I had a Scotty rod holder, mounted that on the kayak, then I took a 1" PVC pipe I had laying around and put an elbow and sleeve on it to make my own transducer mount. It actually works pretty good. I'll take pictures later and post to show how this set up works.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Trapper . I actually was on a Ice Fishing forum that had a 80+ ? pages of using PVC for everything imaginable . There are some very inventive outdoors men out there . I even used a small piece for my ice fishing transducer set-up . I ran the transducer cable up through a 1 inch x 6 inch piece of PVC and screwed the transducer to the PVC , then slipped a extra fat piece of pool noodle over the PVC . Then you snug up the transducer to the pool noodle and it floats nicely in your hole in the ice .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of my ice set up for the Garmin Striker .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0203181556.jpg (683.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg crop_0203181556.jpg (270.3 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page