The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

When I'm not hunting or trapping......(pics)

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Trapperspaz 
#1 ·
I put this on another website where they were talking about learning a trade to pay the bills. Well, this is how I pay the bills. All involved are pretty happy about how this one turned out. Lots of work, thinking, and frustration....but worth it in the end I think.

Here's a little project I just finished up for a small cash contribution. This used to be a bedroom in a 1900's farm house. It needed all new wiring and plumbing from the basement to the second floor, and ventilation out the attic. They said I don't care how you get it done, we want a walk in shower in this room adjacent to the master bedroom. So I closed up some doorways, busted through the master bed closet, did a little framing, and started slapping tiles on the wall......

Here's the end of day one! I was wondering if I bit off more than I should be chewing?

Got her done.

Completely water proof before I laid a single tile. The way I think it oughta be done.

See less See more
#7 ·
Very nice

I also have that same problem with finding something to do to pay them bills. What is the pink / purplish stuff on your base ? I usually use the gray pvc liner under the concrete base and bring it up the walls 6" or so behind the cement board. Just wondering what you used

#8 ·
That is Redgard roll on membrane with ditra waterproof membrane strips embedded around the drain and all the corners.
Goes on pink and dries to that bright red.
It is approved for use as a shower liner when applied to the correct thickness. No fussing with the curb either. Just frame, concrete board, membrane tape, and brush your Redgard on. It is really nice stuff.
I poured the pre pitch bed, rolled on the membrane, another sloped bed, another ( redundant really) roll on treatment, and you tiled directly over the Redgard.
I'll never do a traditional mortar bed again after using this stuff.

Thanks for the comments. I'm trimming the place today and getting out of here to start a new job tomorrow.

#11 ·

Ready for customer to paint. My job here is done.......at 8pm on a Sunday lol.
It's always a challenge tying into old work especially when nothing is plumb, level, square, or straight. The other part of the job on the other side of the vanity wall was a huge walk In closet, but that's just boring.

#13 ·
ACEarcher said:
Very nice. Looks great. Did you have to use any bonding agent before or after the redgaurd?
It doesn't require anything other than being cured to the dark red color. About 4 hours for the first coat and 2 hours for the second I've found. I just make sure everything is free from dust before applying it. It is a really nice product that I just started using last year because of a funky shower that would have made a traditional mortar and PVC membrane pretty difficult to do. I'm convinced this is a superior product. The way I do it, the mortar bed will never even see a drop of water.

#16 ·
cooncrazy said:
love that lathe and plaster walls,was it horse hair and limestone ?
Yessir. The entire house walls and ceilings were crumbling horsehair plaster, and it was patched in some areas with a cement compound that was hard as iron. I ruined a bunch of blades doing the demo work.
It makes it that much more enjoyable to do the demolition when everything you touch turns to dust.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.