The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

made an exciting purchase today :)

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  psychobeagle12 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I purchased my first fly rod building kit today! It was a low-end kit since I have never built a rod before and really don't wanna botch a $300+ project. So I bought a 7'6" 4wt kit (I wanted a small stream rod) that cost me about $85. I know, less money = less quality, but I wanted to start conservatively for my first rod. I will post pics of the build if I can remember to take them. I'm SOOO EXCITED!!!

#5 ·
Well, my wife decided to make me a rod repair project a few weeks ago by snapping the rod my dad gave me off just below the tip (she slammed it in the car door by accident.) The repair went really well, so I decided to try my hand at building! I hear its addictive. We shall see

#6 ·
if you have any questions shoot me a message. I am a custom rod builder. ive been through the trial and error and know some tips from over the years. Good luck, its super addicting

#7 ·
Ok guys, this won't really be a build-along, but I did take a few photos of the rod while building it. Everything went great (the finish turned out slightly rough) but the rod performs GREAT!! I fished with it today and caught about ten fish, five of which I have pictures. Several nice wild browns and a bunch of native brookies. Fished an amazing stream close to the house that I am pretty sure only ten ppl in the world know about. Here are some pics of the rod and the trout:

rod blank marked up:

eyes taped up:

handle glued on:

brown #1:

brookie:

brown #2:

brown #3:

I wish I had gotten some more pics, but the camera was not cooperating. Caught on a mix of green weenies, san juan worms, and salmon eggs. Caught a couple on sucker spawn too. Didn't try any nymphs today, all terrestrials and eggs.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.