Long range sporters ?? Pics ?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Long range sporters ?? Pics ??

Hows about a thread for pics (and all the details) of long range sporters ??

Whatcha got ?? What's your load ?? How does it shoot ??

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Long range sporters ?? Pics ??

OK............I'll go first.

Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless 7-STW
Hand lapped factory Winchester 26" barrel with match crown
Action trued & pillar bedded and lugs lapped
24 oz trigger
6-20 Weaver Grand Slam
Harris benchrest bi-pod

This rifle LOVES IMR-7828 powder (and eats it by the hatful !!) and Nosler's 140 gr. AccuBonds !! My pet load runs the 140's a whisker over 3600 fps and prints them into tidy little groups. The embarrassing part is........... I don't know how small. Our range at the farm goes to 600 yards. My typical sight-in goes on to paper at 100. Make the necessary adjustments to center-punch the steel at 300 then start shooting at the 600 steel. I have never actually put a group on paper at 600 to put a caliper on. All I know is that our 600 yard steel is 8 inches and a steady hold whacks it every time.

The other embarrassing thing is that I'm 98% a bowhunter. I've only ever pointed the rifle at one deer........... a doe at 275 yards which was not a real testimony to accuracy.

But anyways......... there's my toy.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 PM
The Man

What are we considering a sporter? My typical long range sporter runs around 12 pounds scoped and ready to shoot. Is that considered a sporter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Not sure what the book definition of "sporter" is.

I guess I picture a "sporter" as something with a #1 or a #3 contour barrel............weighs 10 lbs or less all up .......... something a guy would carry all day every day for a week whether he was in the Rocky Mountains or in a woodlot just outside of WalMart's safety zone.

Like a Remington Sendero or a Ruger 77V ........... I wouldn't really consider to be "sporters" per se. Heavy contour barrels.......

But if you're toting a 12 pounder over hill and dale, who am I to disagree ??

Let's see 'em !!

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM

I'd agree that a sporter weight rifle should be south of 10 pounds, wear a barrel of magnum contour or smaller and a standard forend on the stock.

WMU 3A
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdchuckhuntr
I'd agree that a sporter weight rifle should be south of 10 pounds, wear a barrel of magnum contour or smaller and a standard forend on the stock.
That's kinda my general line of thinking, as well.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 PM
The Man

Okay, I do haul that around, but I agree with you at the 10 pound limit. I was just playing devils advocate a bit...that will be my next build, something way lighter that still shoots a good distance. Problem is (in my humble opinion) that as weight decreases, long range shoot ability also deminishes.

I think my next lighter long ranger is going to be a 6.5mm of some type. I'm liking the 26 Nosler right now, but who knows...

Mac
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackgee
Okay, I do haul that around, but I agree with you at the 10 pound limit. I was just playing devils advocate a bit...that will be my next build, something way lighter that still shoots a good distance. Problem is (in my humble opinion) that as weight decreases, long range shoot ability also deminishes.

I think my next lighter long ranger is going to be a 6.5mm of some type. I'm liking the 26 Nosler right now, but who knows...

Mac
Never hurts to have two sides to a discussion.

You're pretty much spot-on in a general sorta way about weight going down causing long range shootability to go down.

However, today's tech is making more & more exceptions to that rule. If you have the jack to lay out, the rifles being put out by McWhorter and Gunwerks, to name a couple, come in between 6 and 9 lbs. They are 1000 yard capable sporters.

At a lower price point, I happen to have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight that is EASILY 600 yard capable on deer-sized vitals. Not exactly LONG range. But gettin out there.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackgee

Mac
I read on a different forum that the 26 Nosler is only getting 800 rounds down the tube til it's shot out. Take a look at the 6.5 SLR I get 3080 with 123 Amax haven't had a lot of time to work with 140's but I'm told they are getting 2900+. Also 1 thing I think is a big plus is it's made from 243 brass.

NRA Life member
Mid-Range match director: Reade Range
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSandBinc
I read on a different forum that the 26 Nosler is only getting 800 rounds down the tube til it's shot out.
No shame in buying barrels if you're having fun !!

I have a donor Model 70 Classic express length hanging around. I've considered doing a 6.5-.300 Wby or 6.5 STW with a 28" magnum contour tube. Oughta be just about the nutz for reaching stuff in other zip codes.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page