7mm saum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

7mm saum

Ok, despite shortage of brass, wsm having more case capacity, slightly higher velocity. I'm planning a 7mm build. The saum is one of my candidates. Please before this is turned into a BR discussion, I'm not into competition! Just long range steel and an occasional deer. Barrel is 34 long haven't settled on a final length 1-9 twist....im planning on 180 Berger hybrid as well as smk's....thoughts?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 7mm saum

I can not speak for the 7SAUM, but I can say this, a very accomplished Williamsport shooter and gunsmith who built a few rifles for me tried the 300SAUM and the accuracy just wasn't there compared to a WSM, not saying the 7SAUM wouldn't work, If it were me and I was set on a long range hunting rig in a 7MM I would have to go with a 7mmSTW, I was at a friends house last weekend chambering a few barrels and we talked about 7mm hunting rifles and the STW is one of his favorites. He thought so highly of it I believe I might put on together for myself. Of course I'm so sold on 30 calibers because of bullet selection I may not take the 7mm path. But, if I do it will more than likely be the STW.

A 34 inch barrel is just screaming for something more than a SAUM, Maximize the length you have and squeeze every FPS you can out of it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have hunted with a 7x300wby for years and I liked it except for short case life, but if I were to have one chambered now I would go with the 7stw. We had three 7x300wby in our group and of the three one would get almost 3400 fps with the 168 smk but the other two wouldn't take loads that hot all three were chambered with the same reamer and were all hart barrels . One Williamsport gunsmith told me he likes the 7mm ultra mag. for hunting but the barrel life is short.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck finding brass for the SAUM. I have a model 7 that I love in that caliber, I have been forced into buying Remington factory ammo at $45/20 rounds just to get more brass. I would seriously consider a different round because Remington isn't rolling out any brass for this caliber anytime soon. (I've been waiting for my email on availability for well over a year now, no luck)

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Yeah I've seen the brass problem, norma is making it now as well as option of necking down 300 saum brass. I saw it for sale I'll try to post link.

I have an stw, have had 7-300 Weatherbys and they shot great. I have 300 ultra that is also a good shooter. I've always been a speed chaser and have or have had the big boomers now I'm looking for something different. Although you guys are right that 34" pipe would get a 180 rolling....

Tim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

I know Norma says they are making it, but try to find and buy it is another story. I would see if you can buy the brass in bulk before building a gun for it at this point. Ammo manufacturers have cut back dramatically on making the not so popular ammo and brass, It's just not how it used to be. Try to find .17 hornet right now, which is a newer round....

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

300 saum brass seems to be available?

Tim
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 AM
The Man

Two years ago a fella had five boxes of 7SAUM ammo for sale on here for a ridiculous price, like $13/ box...I bought it because of the price , and then I had to go out and buy ytself a rifle!...Love it..Very good shooter!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Lol, thats my kinda thinkin Ken!

Tim
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM

I love my 300 SAUM, very accurate and does not beat you up when you are at the range.
I got to believe the 7mm has to be similar once you find a load that it likes.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page