6MM BR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

6MM BR

Im going to finish building a 6MM BR pretty soon. Does anyone have any advice on dies / reloading for the 6BR? any recommended bullets for both long range and for groundhogs?

any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 6MM BR

In my 6mm br I use wilson and redding dies. My barrel is a 1-8 twist and I use the berger 105 berger hybrd's with varget powder and cci small magnum primers, I don't hunt groundhogs with this rifle I only use it for the groundhog shoots. I would reccomend a 1-8 twist barrel and you could shoot the heavy and light bullets. When you find a load with one of the 105-107 bullets I would try that on groundhogs to see how it works before you try a bunch of other bullets.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 AM
New Arrival

I would defiantly go with an 8 twist barrel and dies for the BR are just what brand you prefer as they all are good. Any of the 105-108g bullets will do great punching holes in paper as well as g-hogs. The 105 Berger hybrid is an awesome bullet but they are hard to find. I love loading for the BR. It is easy and most anything you feed it they will shoot.
Good luck with your new gun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 02:11 AM
Part of the Community

My 6br is also an 8 twist. So far I haven't tried many of the heavies cause I had some 75 v-max's on hand when I got it. They shoot great. I plan to do some testing with the 105 amax and 107 smk this summer. I use Forster dies.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

Pretty much what everyone else mentioned, Mine is an 8 twist, 28" barrel. I have a custom re-size die for mine. I seat bullets with a Redding Comp seater. I've only used 108 Bergers and 107 Sierra, They both work great, right now I have so many Sierra bullet's that's all I'll be using for the next several years. Varget Powder and federal match primers.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great thanks guys. I'm thinking 8 twist, 28" criterion barrel. And if I can find the hybrid 105 ill start there. Everyone I talk to says the 6br is great. Ill post pics when it's finally done
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM

Get the 8 twist as they said earlier. Go no turn neck. Get yourself a wilson seater and you can seat bullets with an arbor press or your hand even. Shoot three pieces of brass in your chamber and send the brass to Lynwood harrell and he'll send you a fl bushing die to fit your chamber.

I shoot 107 smk's with RE15 in mine for paper. Don't hunt with them. They pencil thru groundhogs. I shoot 87 vmax with vargetand they work great to 600 yds.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM

This is often a cartridge overlooked in the hunting fields..but it's no stranger to the winners circles especially when distances are in the 400-700 yard range. You are on the right track with the fast twist and the 105+ bullets, much better in the wind and they will smoke an ole' hog at distances the .224 cartridges can only dream of..a lot of benchrest shooters who think their benchrest barrels are worn out will part with them to screw on most actions, these barrels will last a long time in hunting circles and are usually reasonably priced and will serve you well...don't overlook for sale adds on benchrest.com sites. Get some dies that have bushings and get it is tight as you can, your cases will last forever if there's not much play.. 6mm BR, a great cartridge, it has it's own website if you care to look for more information...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page