reloading stage that contributes most to accuracy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

reloading stage that contributes most to accuracy

I know this is a tough question, consistency is by far the best contributing factor once everything else has been figured out. When breaking the reloading process down into individual steps which one has given you the best improvement in your group size? Please be as detailed as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: reloading stage that contributes most to accuracy

They all are !
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Minimizing the shoulder setback and finding the best bullet setback from the lands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 04:38 PM

Each and every step must be consistent. I find that bullet tension and concentricity are right at the top.

benchrest
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

have to agree , i also believe concentricity is one of the most important stages in reloading accurate ammunition.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Joe
Minimizing the shoulder setback and finding the best bullet setback from the lands.
x2

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 AM
The Man

Agree with every thing mentioned. Guess not being afraid to experiment with powders, charge, and bullet seating.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I use comp seater dies, I haven't had problems with bullet conentricity, if you do how can you fix it?

For me, at long range I think measuring powder has gained me most. I have a large magnifying glass I use to ensure the beam scale pointer lines up exactly on the same spot every time. If it's a fraction off the desired powder charge I don't care too much just so they are all the exact same amount. That's why I trust a beam scale over electronic, I've seen electronic scales drift from one charge to another too much for my liking . I don't think for short range hunting loads it's that big of a deal but long range I think its critical.

I never really thought about neck tension, the smith that built my first comp rig told me what bushing to get and it worked. I hear guys talking about changing it for different reasons. I run .003" on the short mags.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 PM
The Man

There are so many elements to consider and each element will have an influence on any combination of other elements.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is case capacity. The internal capacity will have an affect on pressure. One reason to develope loads with the same manufacturer and lot number of brass.

I feel that the single most important factor that has already been mentioned is run out. I still have a custom made run out dial gage made for our rifle team by "The Real" Frankford Arsenal. I still use it and by culling rounds out of spec will tighten your groups.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
The Man

I think that is funny you mentioned the magnifying glass. Im a real sticker on powder charge on my big lr rifles also. I actually bend over looking a lot to since throwing 93 grains of h-1000 you have to use the trickler. That's an excellent point thinking if I was say a grain off the vel. difference would sure mess you up for impact at long range. Then by this point we can go farther of saying having a consistant load of the lowest extreme spread is very imporatnat in LR shooting. Interesting thread you started, at first I couldn't think quick enough but there will be some interesting points brought out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page