Long range equipment , glasses , rangefinders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Long range equipment , glasses , rangefinders

Just wondering what the long range hunters are using for spotting and identifying there game .and what are you using to find the distance , i am sure it has come a long ways from the old Barr & stroud milatary surplus rangefinders i used when i was still active in long range hunting.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:42 AM
The Man

Re: Long range equipment , glasses , rangefinders

I use the Leica HD-B 10x42 rangefinding binoculars for finding and ranging game. I really like having the combination as it is nice and easy to use. I also have a leica 65mm spotting scope for getting a much closer look at my quarry.

Mac
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM
The Man

Depending on where Im at but most of the time I sit up in a field some place I can drive close to. I have a portable shooting bench and folding chair. My optics are a Kowa highlander on tripod along with my 10x50 swaro. 2 rangefinders my new G-7 actually returns with moa to dial in after taking yardage, temp, baro pressure, and elevation it figures it all. As a backup my Leica 1600 and I still have a drop chart. Rifle is 338 Edge or 338 Rum both topped off with 5.5x22x50 Nfx Nightforce scopes with MPR-1 reticle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I usually range with my rangefinder and use my sightron s3 8-32x56 to spot and shoot with. If its past my rangefinder distance ill use the MOA-2 recticle to estimate range.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How many have made a set of 20x binos from two spotting scopes? A friend gave me two chassis for these but i haven't had any luck finding the scopes. He uses ship binos from japan. They are nice but heavy to carry any distance.

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've used them, I personally don't own a set but have friends that have the Bushnell Spacemasters put together as big eyes, they are nice and affordable, I also have a friend that mounted two Swarovski Spotters together as Big eyes that are real nice but aren't affordable. For long range hunting I use an inexpensive pair of 20x80 Power Celestron Bino's they work great and wont break the bank, the ones I have are older with individual focus adjustmanets, the newer ones have a single focus adjustment. I have a Swaro spotting scope but prefer the Celestrons to look though for any length of time.

Your money is best spent on a good tripod and Fluid head, you'll have more wrapped up in that as what you will in a set of Celestrons. Go with a cheap tripod and head and the best set of Big Eyes will be worthless.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
How many have made a set of 20x binos from two spotting scopes? A friend gave me two chassis for these but i haven't had any luck finding the scopes. He uses ship binos from japan. They are nice but heavy to carry any distance.
Like these

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

My Daughter looking the Swarovski's on the left and my friends son looking through the Celestron's on the right.

This is our long range deer hunting set up. Sometimes we get it out for groundhogs too.

[img:center][/img]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Gunner, that's a nice rest what kind is it, and the gun is nice also what caliber and barrel and action are you using?
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Drags,

The rest is homemade for the most part, the windage rear is off my heavy gun set up that Eric Springman built. the handle came from McMaster Carr, the gears between the handle and the vertical post is a timing set from a small block chevy. The gun is chambered in a 300WSM, BAT Action, Bartlien 5r 30" barrel, KDF muzzle break. The gun is deadly accurate, with 210 Bergers or JLK's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page