6.5-06 advantages over other -06 based cartridges - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

6.5-06 advantages over other -06 based cartridges

I am no long range expert and I have only begun to read this new forum. I noticed there are a few wildcats mentioned in another thread that are based on the 30-06 case. It seems the 6.5-06 is a favorite. What advantages would the 6.5-06 have over just using a 30-06 and building up? Or even a 25-06 or say a .270, both of which use the 06 case? Are there characteristics that give these wildcats a great advantage or is it just man's desire to constantly innovate or tinker? Just curious. This seems like a good place to ask. I'm a long time fan of the .270.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Re: 6.5-06 advantages over other -06 based cartridges

I am FAR from a pro but the 6.5 caliber has a awesome BC compared to most....

Might be more to the answer but that's likely a big part of it...

25-06 too light of a bullet for some applications...3006 heavy and slower and lower BC...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM

25-06 & 270 are hampered by bullet selection.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Because it's COOL anybody can say they they have a 30-06, 270 or 25-06 (all good cartridges) but not many can say they have a 6.5-06.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The bullet selection for higher bc is the deciding factor. A 140 gr 6.5 usually has a bc of .5 or higher in some cases.

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 AM
The Man

The 6.5's are on the move due to a broader bullet selection than it used to be. Im a 25 fan in reality bullet selection is getting little better but has along way to go. Speaking of the 6.5 15-20 years ago mainly you had the 264 win mag and how many people did you know who had one. As mentioned they have some fine bc bullet makers have seen the demand and has came thru. I like wildcats myself but if you don't reload stay away, you will have to depend on someone to do it for you and I don't care to depend on the other fellow. Most of the time there is something close to a wildcat in a factory chambering. I happen to have the love of the gun and enjoy drag racing bullets so the wildcats fir me well. I actually have one I named myself I took a 270 wsm and necked to a 25 caliber a few years ago. I had the reamer special cut and Dave Manson actually called it the ( 25 Bobcat ) at my request. I own a landscaping business with Bobcat loaders and thought it would fit. Now does anyone else care? Probably not but I think its neat having a short action 257 whby. vel. I also mentioned about a gun I shouldn't have around an undesirable person in my little town. He asked why I have these so called wildcats. Told him simple if anyone ever steals any of my rifles I will find out real easy who did it. He asked how? I replied I will read about it in the paper when someone blew there head off with a rifle because they would of put wrong shell in chamber not knowing what they had. Should of seen that look on his face.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like bullet selection is what drives popularity in part, other than having a "cool caliber" heh heh.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 AM
The Man

Bullets and bullets!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Higher BC, great performance and lots of recent records. If memory serves me Jim Carmichel developed a 260 "Bobcat" some years ago. Don't know if it was ever commercially loaded or not. I think Remington ran out the .260 soon there after.

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 PM
New Arrival

Bullet selection, bullet selection, and did I mention bullet selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page