Meplat trimming - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
KLL
Frequent Contributor

Meplat trimming

Do you trim meplats on your hollow point bullets?
What trimmer do you use? How much does it reduce your BC?

I will be using the Meplat kit for the Giraud power trimmer on a new 338lm build. I am interested to see what others use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 02:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Meplat trimming

I have never trimmed the meplat on any of the MatchKings I have loaded. I would say the the BC would be reduced.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 AM

For hunting purposes I don't see the need to trim. For group/bullseye matches there MAY be an advantage but the evidence is pretty anecdotal at this point. Mathematically it should help but I'm not likely to start doing it any time soon.

BC changes will be relative to the bullet type and amount of trimming needed. The loss will be nominal at best. Keeping in mind that the published Ballistic Coefficient is a "get you close" number and not a substitute for range time.

WMU 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Trimming meplats will reduce BC, the advantage is once they are trimmed they are theoretically more consistent. I trimmed meplats and actually saw a decrease in accuracy and never tried it again. I know people now that are trimming meplats and then repointing them with EXCELLENT results. It's time consuming and the pointing die is somewhat expensive. I'm not so sure it makes a noticeable difference at shorter distances though, out to 500. At a 1000 a friend of mine trims and points for benchrest, he is an exceptional shooter to begin with but seems to get great results. All that being said, trimming and pointing isn't the only thing he does so that may or may not be what seems to give him an advantage. Like mentioned, I wouldn't take the time for hunting.

Personally I think time is better spend sorting bullets by weight and bearing surface. and making sure everything else is as consistent as you can make it, case's, primers, exact powder measurements, seating depth, cleanliness and so on. That's all stuff you can do throughout the long cold winter months
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
Trimming meplats will reduce BC, the advantage is once they are trimmed they are theoretically more consistent. I trimmed meplats and actually saw a decrease in accuracy and never tried it again. I know people now that are trimming meplats and then repointing them with EXCELLENT results. It's time consuming and the pointing die is somewhat expensive. I'm not so sure it makes a noticeable difference at shorter distances though, out to 500. At a 1000 a friend of mine trims and points for benchrest, he is an exceptional shooter to begin with but seems to get great results. All that being said, trimming and pointing isn't the only thing he does so that may or may not be what seems to give him an advantage. Like mentioned, I wouldn't take the time for hunting.

Personally I think time is better spend sorting bullets by weight and bearing surface. and making sure everything else is as consistent as you can make it, case's, primers, exact powder measurements, seating depth, cleanliness and so on. That's all stuff you can do throughout the long cold winter months
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fully agree!! I shoot groundhog matches to 500 with several rifles. Bought 3 trimmers from Kevin Cram, Montour Co. Rifles, and saw no difference in accuracy. For sure you will lose some BC with trimmed meplats. I have considered buying pointing equipment, but gettin tired of throwing money away on stuff that is supposed to be the ultimate in accuracy, and it ain't worth crap.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page