Longrange hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Longrange hunting

Does anyone have any longrange hunting stories to share with us?
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Longrange hunting

I have killed a few at what I consider long range, over 500 yards. My pard texted me on Friday that he got laid off. That means that we will be set this week for some longer pokes. Hopefully Helga will roar.
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Part of the Community

I prefer long range shots if I am forced to use a rifle. Thus far I have four big game kills at over 300yds. Including one at 460. Groundhogs here and prarie dogs out west are a whole different story, with a few over 500.

Most long range guys are hand loaders from what I've found, that is how I got into it. Planning on doing some paper punching this year out to 1000, that adds an entirely new dynamic.

"So what was the problem, is your gun broke?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have had experience long range hunting on and off for the last 25 years.

When someone refers to long range I consider it setting up on one mountain, glassing for deer, and then shooting at then from any distance from several hundred to as much as 1500 yards. Surely some hunters have killed at ranges in excess of those distances.

The biggest challenge is crosswinds and thermals in our type of terrain. Guys in the West seem to have more favorable atmospheric conditions.

That being said it is much more challenging then people give it credit for....
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS
I have had experience long range hunting on and off for the last 25 years.

When someone refers to long range I consider it setting up on one mountain, glassing for deer, and then shooting at then from any distance from several hundred to as much as 1500 yards. Surely some hunters have killed at ranges in excess of those distances.

The biggest challenge is crosswinds and thermals in our type of terrain. Guys in the West seem to have more favorable atmospheric conditions.

That being said it is much more challenging then people give it credit for....
Yeah, everyone you talk to thinks they can put a bullet in a deer at 500 or 600yds. Then you sit down with them at the range and the can't even hit a 24" steel plate at 400. Lol. At least that is my experience with some of the big talkers around me. Just like you said, people don't know what a challenge it really is.

To answer the OP. My personal best is 580yds. It was with my 25-06. There were 3 doe feeding across a hug cut cornfield. I was with my friend. We watched them for an hour or so waiting for some to come closer, or more importantly a buck for him. As it grew closer to the end of legal hunting time he said, why don't you get that big doe? I said "OK". I gave him my video camera and ranged them. I carry a laminated copy of my trajectories out to 800yds for my gun at all times (cheating, I know) and knew that at that range with my reloads that I was looking at 64-66" of drop. That scope didn't have mil dots and I didn't adjust clicks. Just did hold over. I touched it off and the 2 little ones didn't twitch the big one kind of hunched up with its head real low and tail straight out. About 5 seconds later it stumbled side ways and fell down. We walked out to a perfect (to me) 3" behind the front shoulder shot about 1/3 of the way up its chest. That was 2 years ago. There was no wind that day. Perfect chance for, what I consider, a pretty long range shot.
bohunr likes this.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM
The Man

He forgot to hit record forgot to add that in.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Five or six years ago I missed a buck the first Wednesday. He made the mistake of coming back to the same spot at first light the first Saturday. I was estimating the range at around 400 yards based on my knowledge of the terrain, but couldn't get a reading on him. When I lasered the box from where the buck fell it was 411 yards. That was just about as far as I can see in the field I sit.
bohunr likes this.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 PM
The Man

My longest shots I've taken at deer were just a little over 200 yds.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Part of the Community

I have some longrange experience. I shoot a semi custom rem 700 in a 300 ultra mag . It is topped with a huskemaw 5-20+50 . It is a real tack driver shooting 190 gr. Berger vld's at 3393 fps.
My current turret goes to 1100 yds but I'm getting one made out a mile . I've killed deer at 730yds , 780 , 865 ,885 , 975 and 1075 . My brother in law killed a doe this Saturday at 925 yds in a 9 mph crosswind using the wind hash marks on my huskemaw he made the shot tight behind the shoulder . The Kentucky windage doesn't work too well at those yardages .
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Good post Jeff, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, I'm looking for hunters and shooters that set up for longrange hunting, using portable benchrests, rangefinders and bigeye spoting scopes or high power binouculars and have dedicated rifles for longrange hunting. I have two longrange rifles a 7/300wby with a 30" barrel and 300wby with a 30" barrel both are hart barrels and rem. 700 actions both were smithed by Howard Wolfe. We did quite a bit on longrange hunting in the past in a grown up strip mine in clearfield Co. but they restripped it and we haven't found another spot since, we have had deer kills from 500 to 1150 yards. We have many longrange hunters and shooters in Penna. and it would be great if someone that is computer savy would moderate a longrange hunting and shooting forum. I also shoot in the groundhog matches in Penna that are close to home and I want to shoot in the 1000 yard matches someday. The rifles I use for the groundhog matches are 6x47 lapua and 6mm br. and 6ppc and I'm going t have one chambered i 6mm dasher after deer season. Again I know we have a lot of longerange hunters in Penna. from Green and Washington Co. and of course in many Northern County's so maybe some one will moderate a longerange hunting and shooting forum where we can exchange hunting and shooting ideas.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page