Long Range Rifle Scope suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Long Range Rifle Scope suggestions

Looking for suggestions for a quality Variable Power Rifle Scope for Long Range. Would like to stay around $1,500.--'ish, but will consider up to $2,000.00 max for scope only. Shopping in the 6-20X50MM and 8.5-25X50MM range, must have 30MM or 34MM Tube, and 50MM or larger objective lens. Open to suggestions and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have and use a 8.5x25 Leupold a Nightforce 12x42 BR and 15x55 competition models and like them all. For hunting and price I like the 8.5x 25 Leupold for competition I like the two Nightforce scopes.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Now your are talking my language.
I will say your price range is kind of in the dead zone. Lots of great options from 900-1300 then a dead spot then lots more good ones from $1800 and up.
If you want to stay on the lower the PST genii 5-25 is a great one or the golden eagle for big power 15-60. SHV nightforce falls in that range as well.
Then you have the 5.5-22 NXS in that $1800 range.
Let me know if I can point you into the direction of the CHEAPEST deals on scopes around ( I know some people lol )

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Part of the Community

I love the 12x42 NF optically. However, after returning mine 3 times because it would not hold point of aim I gave up on it. I have 2 Vortex GE, have been great holding point of aim and spot on clicking back and forth for different yardages. Remove the turrents, clean out the factory grease and replace it with a synthetic grease that will handle the cold and it's good to go. Perhaps not quite was good optically but great for the price especially if your a veteran or active duty. I have 2 Leupold Competitions that I have used long and hard..never an issue with them. For a hunting a, scope I would look to the Leupolds. Make up your mind and talk to Dragman .
dragman likes this.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

If $2,000 is your upper limit I would take a look at either the 4.5-27x56 Vortex Gen 2 Razor or the soon to be released 4-32 Nightforce NX8.

I personally have a Gen 2 Razor that has lived on my .300 for the last 3 years and has worked flawlessly for me for 1500+ rounds and countless scope revolutions out to 1000 yards.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have two Leupold VX-3i's with the varmint hunter reticle. This scope can be had for around $1,000 and is well worth it.

When I shot the 1,000 yard Varmint Silhouette at Ridgeway the scope worked very well....and with the reticle being horizontal and vertical MOA quick adjustments without turning the turret was a nice option.

FWIW
drags and br1k like this.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

check out the Athlon cronus. I pre-ordered one of the 4-32 nightforce nx8 scopes. looks like a nice option that doesn't weigh a ton.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 PM
The Man

NFX 5.5 x 22 x50 zero stop Have 3 of them.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:37 AM

I have a Leupold 40x competition scope with 1/8 dot for sale in great condition. $800 shipped.

benchrest
Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 PM

I went with a neighbor yesterday to Burks gun shop Wyoming county who was looking for a scope for his new browning x bolt 6. 5 creedmore. He first looked at a vortex scope that was about 2k and he asked me what I thought. I looked through it and could barley see the hash marks. My neighbor was only able to see the hash mark if he put his glasses on.

I then noticed they had Nightforce scopes in a display cabinet. Once he looked through the NF without glasses he was sold on the scope. I believe It was a 6 x 25 x 50 and in my opinion there was no comparison. It had to be the best scope that I had ever looked through. It was $400 more then the Vortex.

The shop did not have any Swarovski or Zeiss scopes to do a comparison.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in