Dragman victorious with big gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Dragman victorious with big gun

I like to pick on him shooting his cannons. But Sunday in the 1000 yard match shoot off in the cold, wind, and rain at Reade Range he kicked my butt. Good shooting, glad you already sold it and I won't have to shoot against it again,lol.
bohunr, loridr, jimsdad and 5 others like this.

Last edited by jeffppc; 04-29-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks.
And yes it was WAY to cold for me! it was a great match. Really well run and great people. Your lack of vertical was amazing you really have that rig tuned in nicely.
Yes it is sold but I finished up a BAT 338 lapua running the 300 grainer at 2930fps and it shoots really well. I don't know if it will make weight though.
bohunr and jimsdad like this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 AM

How about posting some pics and details of the guns you guys shoot?

Good luck, Tony
bohunr and dragman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Gun I shot for this match:
Bat model M
300WSM .338 neck with 235 freebore chambered by Mark King
ST1000 laminate tracker stock
Broughton 5r barrel 30" 11 twist
Jewel trigger
Bat 20Moa ring base combo
SIII 8-32 scope
Shooting 208 ELD-M bullets @ 3001 FPS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WSM.jpg (107.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WSM1.jpg (236.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg WSM2.jpg (291.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg WSM3.jpg (286.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WSM4.jpg (267.9 KB, 10 views)
bohunr, bigguy54, Dogface and 6 others like this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Kelby's action, McMillan Edge stock, Brux 8 twist frozen barrel in 6.5 x 47. Jewell 2 oz trigger, Vortex GE scope. 142 Sierra MK at 2790 fps ES 3, 16.5 lbs. It started life 20 yrs ago as a 13.5 lb. 6PPC. Rifle smithed by Bob Green from York, Pa.I have been a short and mid range shooter for years. Venturing into 1000 yd. It requires a different mind set and learning a new skill set from short range.
bohunr, Tony300wby and dragman like this.

Last edited by jeffppc; 05-01-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Bf
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Dragman. Kelbly's, I'm not a long range guy but did belong to their range when I was in OH. Fascinating watching those guys fuss over the tiniest details.
dragman likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Jeff & Drag

Are these score or group match's?

Whats your thought process when selecting a case/cartridge? Why not the high capacity case's?

Good luck, Tony
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:37 PM

They score both group and score. (to be transparent this was my 1st paper match) I have shot ridgway 1000 yard steel match a bunch. and I shoot at 1000 and further for thousands of rounds a year hunting and playing.

So unlike the steel match of just did it fall or not we are shooting for tightest 10 shot group and highest score as well.

There is no doubt the 6's are the new latest greatest thing 6BR, BRA, BRX, Dasher etc. And the 6.5's are well know for stability and accuracy. I just like big stuff and the 300WSM is an animal and frankly very easy to tune. The only downfall is double the powder more expensive bullets and more recoil than some people can deal with in a bench rest situation. Heat is also a factor so anything "bigger" is going to have issues shooting long strings of sighters before the 10 shot round. I limited myself to 2-3 sighters only for this reason.

Load development for long range is all about getting a low extreme spread on velocity with a decent shaped group then tuning it to eliminate the vertical at distance (this is why the barrel tunners are so popular now)
Sometimes the group that shoots "1 hole" strings vertical and shoots 10" or worse at 1000 and the group that shoots 1/2" triangle might shoot less than 2" of vertical at distance. so it takes some time and knowledge to see what is happening.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Each target is scored for both group and score. If you win both in your relay you go to the group shoot off and the second place score shooter goes to the score shoot off. The winners from each relay then have a shoot off to determine the match winner of each, group and score. This format is really what pushed me into the 1000 yd. game. Essentially everyone has the same conditions since you only compete against those in your relay. I believe more 1000 yd records have been set by cartridges based on the little 6BR case than anything else. Dasher, BRX, 6BRB are probably the 3 most used. Since we shoot sightes then go immediately to a 10 shot group big case means lots of powder, thus lots of heat and short barrel life. Plus the accurracy of the 6mm s is hard to beat. But, on bad condition days those big case heavy bullet guns do well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM

I would have never thought 6BR ect. would be getting action in 1000yd match's.

How long do you have to shoot your ten shot group?

What size groups do you need to be competitive?

Good luck, Tony

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page