1st hog of the year (with picture) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 03-29-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

1st hog of the year (with picture)

Just got my long range hog rig finished up (for now, when my new stock and new bullets show up I will have to tweak it) 7WSM after I was good with my groups and ES @ 100 I ran a quick program and went to test it long 1050yards. The program worked out and 891 this bugger jumped out and got sat back down. I am please with it for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7WSM.jpg (208.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 7WSM1.jpg (221.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 7WSM2.jpg (209.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg hog.jpg (608.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg hog1.jpg (595.2 KB, 16 views)

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 03-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Regular Visitor

Nice rifle
dragman likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 03-31-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 03-31-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage

Nice lookin rig!!
dragman likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 03-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
Just got my long range hog rig finished up (for now, when my new stock and new bullets show up I will have to tweak it) 7WSM after I was good with my groups and ES @ 100 I ran a quick program and went to test it long 1050yards. The program worked out and 891 this bugger jumped out and got sat back down. I am please with it for sure.
Good shot, but why not let mom raise the pups before you start killing. We start Memorial Day.
drags likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 04-01-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
Good shot, but why not let mom raise the pups before you start killing. We start Memorial Day.
In most cases I completely agree with you. But this is my good friends place and it's infested and it's about ruining the hog hunting killing them all so they don't damage his equipment.
Waynzee, Waynzee and br1k like this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 04-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
I agree with Jeff when I started groundhog hunting sixty years ago I was told by the veteran hunters at that time to start hunting after the first cutting which is around Memorial Day to protect the young groundhogs. If you want to shoot groundhogs before Memorial Day there are plenty of groundhog shoots in Pa. before and after Memorial Day paper groundhogs are lots of fun and very challenging.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 04-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drags View Post
Quote:
I agree with Jeff when I started groundhog hunting sixty years ago I was told by the veteran hunters at that time to start hunting after the first cutting which is around Memorial Day to protect the young groundhogs. If you want to shoot groundhogs before Memorial Day there are plenty of groundhog shoots in Pa. before and after Memorial Day paper groundhogs are lots of fun and very challenging.
Drags
Letting them reproduce is all well and good if you’re just looking for target but when you are the one paying for the pasta tractor axles it becomes about population control and you kill everyone you see a soon as you see it
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 04-01-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
Letting them reproduce is all well and good if you’re just looking for target but when you are the one paying for the pasta tractor axles it becomes about population control and you kill everyone you see a soon as you see it
exactly
If it's just a random farm I am all for keeping targets for years to come. In fact some farms I don't shoot them if they are less than 800 so that I can keep those ones so when I am on the neighboring farm I can shoot hem at distance as well.
But at my friends place we plant food plots and farm it and really only use it for Deer, so we like to kill them ALL. A busted tractor is bad and expensive, but rolling one and getting killed is even worse.
Waynzee likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 04-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice!! Not sure I could even see a chuck at 800 yards, no matter the optics.

Sunday hunting 'legal' doesn't mean Sunday hunting 'mandatory'.

If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in