4Likes
  • 1 Post By soup1279
  • 1 Post By soup1279
  • 1 Post By dragman
  • 1 Post By hunterdan199

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

My 300 Ultra Mag & range questions

Well I figured I'd try to get into some longer range shooting. I've been toying around with the idea for a little while and the opportunity for me to do so is pretty much now. I wanted a cartridge that not many people had and wasn't really "mainstream".

My options and price range was limited but I think I made the best of what I had to work with. I was originally looking at 30-378 or 333-378 but I had to be a tad realistic when it came to availability or brass/components etc. vs pricing of the gun, reload materials etc. In the end the 300 RUM was the winner.

While not a custom gun it's semi custom in the sense it is not stock. I think it will serve my purposes well. Paper/Target shooting with the ultimate goal of using this for hunting out west.

It started life as a Remington 700 SPS that I got for super cheap brand new.

Barrel was threaded and I had an OPS muzzle brake coated to match the barrel and installed
Boyds stock, glassed and free floated barrel.
Leupold VX5-HD 3x-15x scope

I'm working on loads right now for it but can only shoot 100 yards at my local club. My camp (5 hours away) my distances are wide open up to and over 1,000 yds but it's not realistic to go there for a weekend just to shoot a few rounds for load data.

Does anyone shoot at University rifle club outside Reading? They seem to be the closest place to me to shoot that doesn't have a waiting list. I know some members of Atglen but there is a waiting list to join. New Holland would be the other option but Reading is a little closer. I do not know anyone who shoots at New Holland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_150502.jpg (1.13 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190122_150509.jpg (1.17 MB, 11 views)
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM

Nice rig.
what bullet are you shooting?? I have played with many of RUM's I will be happy to give you some of the loads that worked for me.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Right now my best shooting bullet is the Hornady 200gn ELD-X. I tried a few loads with the 200gn Nossler AB but I could not get a group together.

So far the best is with the Hornady is 90gn H1000. Had 3 shots - 2 were almost in the same hole and the other was 1/2" from those.

I couldn't get the Retumbo to group well until I got to 93gn which is .5 from the max - 3 within 1" of each other in a triangle pattern.

Some of that is most certainly me as I'm getting used to the recoil of the gun.
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM

Sounds similar to the stuff I was shooting I liked the 210 beger and the 208 Hornady
bigguy54 likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:12 PM

Mine shoots factory federal Barnes tsx 180 grains two inch groups at 300 yards. I could make it tighter just love to hunt with gun sucks shooting it at the range.
You will def appreciate the gun the further distance your shoot it.
bigguy54 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page