Scope for 300 win mag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Scope for 300 win mag

I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Full Draw View Post
I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.
Leupold Gold Ring, assembled in USA by American workers. All but two Vortex models are imports.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

All my rifles have Leupold's. I will add what I have noticed. The newer Leupold's VX3i's I purchased within 2 years are not as good as my older VX3's. I see a difference out in the field and in the woods. My favorite is the older VX3 (gloss finish) 2.5-8x36. That scope is sharp period. The newer Leupold versions I noticed looking thru the glass, I ask myself am I looking thru a Tasco scope? I'm not pleased with the newer VX3i's.
I have older VXII's and they too are sharp compare to the newer VX3i's I purchased. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
I would need a bit more info about your rifle and intended purpose before I could give a solid recommendation. The options in those two brands range from $300 to $2500 so narrowing down the options in each brand requires some additional info.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I will carry the gun for deer and bear. And my neighbor has. 1,000 yard range I would love to mess around on. The gun is a Tikka T3x Lite but taking the synthetic off and putting on a Boyd’s custom laminated stock. I’m willing to spend 300-500 and trying to get the best for my money.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My neighbor told me to go with a 3.5x10 or 12 and a 40 or 44 objective but I know he likes things a certain way and doesn’t hunt much anymore and I am always up for being educated on scopes for big bore rifles.
300 Norma Mag likes this.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

I would look for a used 6.5x20 or 6x24 leupold sightron ect. scope. If you want to shoot to a 1000 yards you will need a 20 moa base minimum, if you are on a budget you can put a 20 thousand brass shim under the rear base and lap the rings and that should get you a little past 1000 yards. I have a 6x24 one inch tube sightron for sale $300.00 shipped if you are interested (but I don't take Cabela's gift cards ha-ha). Both leupold and sightron have lifetime a warantee.
Drags
300 Norma Mag likes this.

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
I will carry the gun for deer and bear. And my neighbor has. 1,000 yard range I would love to mess around on. The gun is a Tikka T3x Lite but taking the synthetic off and putting on a Boyd’s custom laminated stock. I’m willing to spend 300-500 and trying to get the best for my money.
1k using holdover, per your other post? with a T3? and a light weight carry gun? better try 500yds first. i would recommend a nice carry gun scope like leupold 2x8 if you want 500yds 3.5x10 not bad but14x on the top end would be better but BIG, 20x would be a monster of a scope on that, and build another gun/scope combo for 1000yds. 300WM is a fine caliber for that but trying to reach 1k with a carry gun is tough to do!

most groundhog matches don't have factory sporters shooting 500yds anymore due to too many crossfires. Better have a really big 1k tgt and Drags is correct on needing a 20moa base as those scopes don't have enough dial in them to reach 1k. Burris sig-Z with fiber inserts would help alot with your project.

leupold CDS dial on a 3.5x10..with Sig -Z rings with 5-10-20moa inserts kit..for a 500yd set up. what i was saying on FFP to add....on a 2nd focal plane the hold over only works on max power. CDS, once you get a proper load developed...or MOA CSD is even better!

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-24-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Part of the Community

Leupold scopes typically have 15MOA/rev , you should/may make 500yds with out inserts and std base but i doubt you will make 600yds dialing.

what bullet will you be using as BC is your friend past 500yds.

do you reload?

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I only said he has a range out to 1k. And no I do not reload .....yet. And the rifle I ordered in lite is having a replacement stock put on it . Lite was just the cheapest option bc I am tossing it anyways

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page