Scope for 300 win mag - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Part of the Community

PS i have helped a friend not long ago after our last match shoot a factory sporter, it was a kimber 270WSM at a 1000yd gong we had set up for after match fun..we had a heck of a time dialing him in and even when we did ,he missed alot, actually out of @20shots and getting him "close" as i would in no way say he was "dialed in"...hit 1 for 20!

my other friend has a Howa 308 and loves to try and hit the 1k gong at mifflin, he can hit once out of many shots, i reloaded for him and had a wonderful 100 to 300yd load,,pretty sucky at 500..

you tell me HOW can someone learn to shoot long range like that?

just by letting them fly?

your attitude is what gives people bad taste about long range hunting not mine...how many stories do you hear about people taking long range shots by just holding over his back a bit? vs some one who HAS the proper gear for the job.

if you have a pencil barrel and know your rifle well enough through practice, you will also know your limits.
drags likes this.

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-26-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

First of all, I was under the impression that the OP wants to try long range shooting, not hunting. There's a big difference. I'm not suggesting anyone steps into the LHR arena without having proven equipment. I don't care what equipment you are using, you should be competent with it at whatever range you choose to hunt.

Now, with that said, I guess I assumed that you knew how big a crow was. It would take ten or so of them to cover the vitals of a deer. It is far easier to put a bullet in a 12" circle at 800 than a 3" circle at 600. I'm not sure what is confusing about that.

I may have reloaded a round or two. Pretty sure I've never even fired a single core-lok.

I believe I did provide some scope advice. Perhaps you missed it. It's still there. I'm glad to hear the Leupolds are working for you. I can't say I've seen a lot to support the accuracy or consistency of their turrets.

My "attitude" is get out there and try it. As long as one is doing it safely, only knowledge will be gained and nothing lost. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone go out and try LRH without knowing what the gear and shooter are capable of.

BTW, you may want to revisit the load you developed for your friend with the Howa. If things are tanking between 300 and 500 you are probably getting a bit too much variation in MV. I'd be surprised if it isn't the load rather than the rifle with things being all hunky dory out to 300.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Part of the Community

OP

Scope for 300 win mag

I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.

First of all, I was under the impression that the OP wants to try long range shooting, not hunting.
AH? maybe you should read the posts again?

and he has a T3 carry gun and $300-$500 and NEVER shot much past 150-200yds!

then goes on to mention 1000yds! this is LR section and i also this post don't belong here. He isn't even ready for 500yds yet!

thanks for all your advice ROVERT , duely noted and pretty much ignored after your first sentence.

i'm not new to LR at all!

so please instead of trying to argue with me, provide the OP with better information as well as anybody else.

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-26-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Norma Mag View Post
OP

Scope for 300 win mag

I got a number of gift cards for cabelas and I was curious what the best scope combo would be for a 300 win mag. It will be used for hunting and shooting on the range. I’m thinking vortex or leupold.

First of all, I was under the impression that the OP wants to try long range shooting, not hunting.
AH? maybe you should read the posts again?

and he has a T3 carry gun and $300-$500 and NEVER shot much past 150-200yds!

then goes on to mention 1000yds! this is LR section and i also this post don't belong here. He isn't even ready for 500yds yet!

thanks for all your advice ROVERT , duely noted and pretty much ignored after your first sentence.

i'm not new to LR at all!

so please instead of trying to argue with me, provide the OP with better information as well as anybody else.

I 100% back ROVERT on this conversation.

1. Is their rules for posting in the “long range forum”? Write a letter to a moderator and ask them to move my post. I didn’t see the forum for “everyone other than “300 Norma mag”

2. I mentioned 1,000 yard range never did I say I was going to shoot it. If you wanna consider it a 1,000 yard range you mise well consider it a 100 yard range as he had increments to 1,000.
3. By the sounds of it I cannot believe you would even talk to someone who shoots a howa or allow such a gun at the same range you shoot at.
4. I am pretty sure our military in Vietnam did not carry a bench gun around when the snipers had to make long range shots. Remington rifles in .308 most of the time. I know this is true because my uncle was one of them. He suggested that leupold went down hill and the scopes are not what they used to be, I tend to agree. That’s why I went with vortex.
I’ll take his advice and advice from ROVERT since he is willing to discuss “long range” without a poor attitude.

I think I might go to the local wal mart and pick out a box of long range core lokts and shoot 1,200 yards all summer. “Yee Haw”

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!

Last edited by At Full Draw; 01-26-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Part of the Community

congrats..you guys are meant for each other..you should get together and shoot together...

sorry for being right and helpful...I didn't know i had to have beter typing skills to make you feel good too?

YEE-HAW...lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20690.jpeg (47.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-26-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thanks for all your advice 300 Norma mag , duely noted and pretty much ignored after your first sentence.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM

Only warning!This thread needs to lighten up now.It is the long range forum and moderators decide which posts belong here.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Full Draw View Post

4. I am pretty sure our military in Vietnam did not carry a bench gun around when the snipers had to make long range shots. Remington rifles in .308 most of the time. I know this is true because my uncle was one of them. He suggested that leupold went down hill and the scopes are not what they used to be.
Man I’ve been out of this loop for a while.

Not to butt into the middle of this but I just wanted to point out that while they didn’t use bench guns in Vietnam the initial Marine snipers did use target rifles. They used Pre-War Winchester Model 70’s with heavy contour barrels chambered in 30-06 and fitted with an 8x Unertl scope. With the barrel and scope the rifles typically came in around 12 pounds or so since they were originally bought for the high power target matches the marines participated in.

The original M40’s were Remington 40x target rifles that were rebuilt by the Marine armorers and topped with a Redfield 3-9 Accurange Scope. They also had a much heavier barrel than your standard hunting rifle, so while they didn’t have bench guns they also didn’t have hunting weight rifles.

So while it may not have been explained eloquently the reason sporter weight barrels are not allowed in some matches is due to the light barrels tendency to walk during the long strings of fire required for such matches. A rifle who’s groups open to 2” at 100 yards when hot is fine for a hunting rifle but could result in bullets landing on another persons targets at 1000 yards. This is in addition to the fact that generally speaking lighter guns are harder to shoot because they are easier to move around due to the lack of weight which shows more movement while aiming.

I agree with the statements on Leupold, they worked on hunting rifles where it was set it and forget it but when dialing became popular they really started to show their short falls in this area with all manner of tracking issues. Up until recently Leupold was living off its reputation but it seems like in the past year or two they have started to actually listen and offer what their customers want and many want more than a simple BDC or duplex reticle.

As for shooting it at long range while it can be done it will definitely be difficult, partially because of how light the rifle is and partially because of the barrel contour. However it is fully worth trying, I started long range shooting with a Model 70 in .300 WM and once I figured it out I was able to repeatedly hit 6” plates out to 600 yards at my buddies cabin utilizing holdovers so you should be able to do the same with your Tikka.

For scopes I would take a look at some of the Vortex Vipers or their new Strike Eagle, those can be found in your price range and should work for your intended application.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page